Question about Loy Butte Rd. Dispersed Camping (FR-525)

GIJane asked on 2/24/2022

I have a 2021 40ft RV with a 28ft trailer. Has anyone been to this campsite recently? How are the roads and winds? Thanks in advance.

CaliSmock
CaliSmock
CA
21' Lance 2185
Chevrolet Tahoe

Answered on 2/25/2022:

We have a 4WD stock height Tahoe with a stock height Lance 2185. Visited in January 2021. I do not know when, or if, they grade the roads. If they do, the roads will degrade pretty quickly due to heavy traffic and weather. Anything with a slope is a washboard. I unhitched and scouted out a private spot outside of sight distance of main roads. There are dozens of spots right along the road—like 30-100’ away—that will leave you dusted every time someone drives by. There is a good amount of OHV traffic and tour companies bringing in big ATV and JEEP groups too. The road condition varies wildly. Definitely unhitch at the large turnout and scout. If you camp here, do not expect any privacy or quiet. 34.8189446, -111.9055497. It was pretty rutted out when we went and so I opted to back up rather than traverse ruts. The road up to the cattle guard/Y (34.8507533, -111.9165384): At times the road was in pretty poor condition, like towing at a snail’s pace due to rocks or washboard. It takes about 7 minutes driving to get here from the highway; 16 minutes towing. I do not dust out other vehicles and RVs camping to the road so there are a LOT of times to slow down. I drive slowly when towing; no need for a dusty interior. I have towed on roads that are so rutted they require leveling pads to get through; this road is not that bad. At the Y, to the right the road degrades to something you would not want to take a trailer. The farthest I would tow is this area: 34.8613192, -111.9095519. For those not towing, the views get better just past this point. Going the left at the Y the road was in great condition for half a mile, then at our campsite turnoff the road worsens, but nothing like the road before the cattle guard. We stayed at 34.8501238, -111.9274248. Enough space for your RV. Quite private; one neighbor, a truck/cabover that was a ways up the road. Campsite: 3.3 miles from the highway. Towing 18 minutes; driving 9 minutes. There are more sites on the main road past the turnoff for our campsite. I drove out to 34.8694842, -111.9461543 and the road was still in pretty good condition. There are red rock views out here. We had no wind. Overnight lows in the high-20’s, pleasant daytime highs in the 40’s. Have a delightful time!

Answered on 2/24/2022:

There is only one large area off the road that would accommodate a large rig, providing there are not a lot of other campers. The rest of the spots are right next to the dirt road and not able to accommodate large rigs. The road itself was decent. There are jeep tours that race up and down the road all day long. The scenery is gorgeous. But I found the campsites lacking. Check local weather for wind events.

Answered on 2/25/2022:

I have not been there for a couple years. Two spots that have typically been fine for big rigs: 34.870758, -111.904811 and 34.868074, -111.903783. FR 525 is a minimally maintained dirt and rock road, fine when it's dry as long as you take it slow, slippery as snot when it's wet.

Answered on 2/24/2022:

Thanks for your feedback. As a Paramotor pilot, I always check the winds. I was asking to determine if responses would be “Windy all the time, etc.” I have seen pictures of Big Rigs, w/out a trailer park there. Based upon my rig description, are there other places close by that you have been / recommend?