Louis Lake Road

2 Reviews
Louis Lake Rd. Lander, WY 82520 307-332-5460 307-527-6241 Official Website

• Reviews

Overview of Louis Lake Road

Accessibility is not guaranteed, always scout ahead before driving down dirt roads.
Learn more: Boondocking 101

Open Seasonally Yes

Elevation 8557 ft

Max Stay 14

Q&A - Ask the Community about Louis Lake Road

Campendium users haven't asked any questions about Louis Lake Road

Reviews of Louis Lake Road 2 people have reviewed this location.

Verizon
T-Mobile Voice Only
Thumb volvo on 550 2
Two Wheel Ramblin
Peachtree City, GA 42' Keystone Raptor 4014LEV 2000 Volvo 610
“Right on the Loop Rd, close to South Pass Ghost town, lots of boondocking options”

Reviewed 6/10/2018

Site Number: 3003KL

We stayed here in order to ride the Loop Rd on our BMW GS motorcycle up to Lander and go see South Pass City ghost town. The Loop road is awesome and well worth the drive/ride. It's very suitable in a car also. South Pass was a cool town to see and the mine tour is at 2pm Thurs-Sun from Memorial Day to Labor Day. It's well worth seeing and exploring the old town. They have done a lot of work to preserve and restore this old town.

There are many options for boondocking spots well away from others on this road with pretty easy access to most although we grabbed the first one one on the left near where this marker is which kept our drive in short, but also meant we heard a lot of the traffic that went by. In all fairness, it was a busy weekend we were there. Many of the boondocking spots further in sit well back off the road. We are in a 42' 5th wheel with a HDT and had no issues getting to our spot which had very easy access. We only had 1 neighbor just a bit above us. The further in you go, the less cell signal until you go up in elevation, then you might get some back.

There is a lot of options for riding in this area with quite a few FS roads and trails to go explore with motorcycles, ATV's and side by sides. The 4x4 road to Christina Lake is actually pretty challenging on a large adventure bike. I made it about half way of the 9 miles before I was running out of time and had to turn around. I need to go back on a smaller bike to conquer it. This would be an awesome trip for the family in Jeep, 4x4 or ATV.

The only negative for me in this area was the cellular was very challenging. This was on a Fri-Sun and it was pretty busy so maybe it's better at other times. We had nothing on our Verizon phones although we didn't try the booster. AT&T has full bars on 4G (not LTE) (I wish they wouldn't combine those on the rating since LTE is usually a ton faster than just 4G. Although we had excellent signal, many times throughout the day the cellular was unusable. I think AT&T has a partner agreement here and the speeds during most of the day were less than 1mb and many times less than that. I also definitely saw myself being network managed also on one of my devices that was over the 22gb limit, so I tried to rely on the other one that wasn't at that point, but it still was a struggle. The only time I saw really good speeds (8-9mb) was late in the evening when everyone was in bed. T-mobile was roaming, probably on the same towers so the speed wasn't any better.

Verizon
T-Mobile Voice Only

Two Wheel Ramblin would stay here again

Thumb 07120025
pboyle
IN 31' Sprinter 28.9 Ram 3500
“Roomy Boondocking”

Reviewed 8/13/2017

Plenty of spaces to dry camp with no shortage of room. If you don't like that spot drive 1/2 mile for another site. It is a dry camping paradise. Most sites could handle 5 or 6 large RVs. Road in was OK.

Be the first to add a note for Louis Lake Road!

Be the first to add a video for Louis Lake Road!

Have you written a blog post about Louis Lake Road?

• Dispersed Camping