Lake Tahoe East

530-543-2600

Pad Type: dirt
Open Seasonally: Yes
Max Stay: 14

Accessibility is not guaranteed, always scout ahead before driving down dirt roads.
Learn more: Boondocking 101

AT&T 3G
T-Mobile 3G
“For starters, this is NOT for RV's or trailers”

Reviewed Sep 23, 2017

We made it to the first 2 "sites" before the first road split with a 27ft class A. After the road splits there is no way you are getting any rv up there.

If you are looking for an rv spot, look elsewhere. This is definately for Car/trucks. I wouldnt say its specifically for 4x4 because we were able to make it pretty far with a toyota yaris.

Cell signal was suprisingly good at about 1 mile in. Signal shown is without a booster.

AT&T 3G
T-Mobile 3G

SubaruVagabond

Subaru Outback

SubaruVagabond would stay here again

“Great boondocking near Lake Tahoe”

Reviewed Aug 14, 2015

I was really excited when I scoped this area out and found it would work for my needs. I've had a wonderful week staying here, and I would definitely come back again!

The road is not actively maintained for low clearance vehicles, but I did see a couple of them make it in up to a point. Heavy rains in the future could make that more difficult, and I wouldn't count on it being kept up to stay a possibility. That said, it was a pretty easy road for the most part, for me.

Verizon 4G is better the sooner you pull off to camp. If you want to get away, some of the best spots in the whole area are further down the road, away from cell service. I didn't even turn on my booster while I was here, so no comments on that, but there's good options for connected or not connected staying, if you can make it on the roads!

The road splits a few times. There seems to be pretty good markings of which are easier or more difficult roads. Some of the more difficult roads have the best boondocking spots, if you can do without cell service and get your vehicle down there!

This is black bear and mountain lion country, with a known population of both. Also, fire restrictions were tight during my stay, as a red flag warning came into effect, so that is worth paying attention to.

I moved between 2 spots almost daily while I was here. One spot had great sun for my solar panels and was easier to stay clean at, but the ground was extremely unlevel. I would go there to work during the day hours. The other spot was level but too much shade for my solar panels, and it was right in a recent burn scar--all of my clothes, hands, everything got covered in black really fast there; that spot also had a beautiful view of Lake Tahoe, which was amazing for watching the sunset and sunrise!

Where I stayed got noisy with off road vehicles passing by frequently. Also, a couple of nights, I was bothered by the noise of parties nearby, and you can hear the nearby highways pretty clearly. It wasn't enough to make me not call this a great spot, but is notable.

Except for the burn scar covering me in black dust all the time, the place was extremely clean as well! I didn't pick up any trash--I didn't even see any worth noting! There's also plenty of hiking and it's really close to Lake Tahoe and the Tahoe Rim Trail is within walking distance (or a very short drive), if you're as adventurous as me!

about Lake Tahoe East?