Lake Camanche North Shore

Ione, CA 95640
209-763-5121

Weekly Rate: Yes
Monthly Rate: Yes

Thumb bessie and little airstream best
LaurieFlood
Pollock Pines, CA
8 Trailers Plus Interstate Cargo Trailer Conversion

LaurieFlood would stay here again

“Okay in Off Season”

Reviewed Jan 28, 2017

I don't like low elevation sites and don't want to be in them in the heat of summer, but I stayed on the North Shore of Lake Comanche for 14 nights in the off season. Off season rates are $80 a week, so the price is right. I stayed in Blue Oak Campground. It has primitive camping. You either back into or pull beside your grassy site. All seem to have picnic tables. Water is in a communal area. Where I stayed, the bathroom facilities were brand new and nice. I did not try the showers, since I had my own. There are pay showers in the new bathroom site and free ones in the older bathroom site, but the bathrooms are not heated. The laundry facilities provided are not clean, though. Just the opposite of the bathrooms.

I had no trouble getting cell phone service with ATT. The lake is huge and the water is clear. The shoreline is over 50 miles around. This makes access to anywhere for your groceries about 25 or more minutes. It was quiet while I stayed there, and there were few campers. There is security that patrols all night, which I liked being so close to the San Joaquin Valley and Stockton.

It really is a fair price. I am rating them a bit lower, since I don't like low elevation sites, and due to the nasty laundry room. Other than that, I think it is a good, budget, off-season destination for primitive camping. There is a trail that you can pay for (why when I have already paid to camp?) that follows the Mokelumne River that I will try next time. There is also an RV park with full hook-ups for more money, but I did not try it.

about Lake Camanche North Shore?

• boat ramp