Kimball Point State Rec Area

Reservations yes

Elevation 295 ft / 89 m

Q&A - Ask the Community about Kimball Point State Rec Area

Campendium users haven't asked any questions about Kimball Point State Rec Area

Reviews of Kimball Point State Rec Area 2 people have reviewed this location.

Confirmed by 2 Users
Last reported 8/20/2018
AT&T 3G
Last reported 4/26/2015
Munnik
30' Airstream International
“Nice ace but poorly managed”

Reviewed 8/20/2018

Having camped here many times when I lived in Raleugh, I was looking forward to seeing it after a 10 year absence. We were disappointed to see lots of park personnel drive through the park but none seemed to be doing anything except looking for violations. No customer service attitude was shown and not even a friendly wave.
Certainly don't have alcohol because they will make you empty your cooler and even your rv refrigerator if they suspect you have anything. We found this particularly disturbing and intrusive since we were not given any rules sheet when we entered the park.
We saw the worst attitude in a park ranger that we had ever seen and it seemed to be shared by all the park staff. We won't be back.

“Best Kerr Lake Campground”

Reviewed 4/26/2015

Site Number: Various

Kerr Lake is a large state park with 8 or 9 different campgrounds spread all around the lake. Kimball Point is the campground furthest north and on the east side of the lake, and is in my opinion the best one of the bunch. I'm not into completely wooded parks, and this one's got a great mix of lightly wooded sites and completely wide open sites where you're almost guaranteed to get a satellite signal. And, unlike many other state parks, it's got lots of nice large grassy areas which are essential for people with picky pets. Couple that with the actual beaches (not a bunch of rocks over which you can climb into the water) but actual sand beaches, and you've got a great park. I carry both a Verizon and an AT&T phone, and Verizon has a great strong LTE signal there, AT&T can be a bit iffy depending on site. I doubt T-Mobile of Sprint has anything but 3G coverage here, if that. I found it pretty impossible to pull in local HD channels via an antenna -- they're just too far away, but then I don't have a roof mounted antenna, so that may work for others. I loved this park the first time I visited it last fall that I booked eight different trips here for this spring and summer -- it's that good. If I had to list the negatives for this park, I'd have to say it would be the restrooms. They're clean and functional, but in need of updating. The shower areas leave something to be desired and there's little or no privacy -- leave your modesty at home if you're going to use them. The only other thing which could be a positive or a negative depending on your point of view is security. There is no Ranger assigned to this park and apparently they go through them like water in a funnel. Hasn't ever been a problem, but I like it when Rangers are constantly driving through these parks keeping people quiet and obeying the park rules. They also lock the gate at 9 p.m. and you aren't getting back in...or out...until at least 6:30 or 7, whenever either the Camp Host or a maintenance person decides to unlock it.

AT&T 3G

RVA Jeff would stay here again

Be the first to add a note for Kimball Point State Rec Area!

Be the first to add a video for Kimball Point State Rec Area!

Have you written a blog post about Kimball Point State Rec Area?

County Line Campground

Absolutely amazing lake views and access. Secluded in trees.

- LakeSurfer