Question about Joshua Tree South Dispersed Camping

SirCampAlot asked on 3/14/2020

Can I just camp in my tent, if I don't have an RV?

machado1751
Nucamp TAB 320S Boondock
Chevrolet Silverado

Answered on 3/15/2020:

Yes. There are tents however the ground can be rocky and it can be extremely windy out there.

Answered on 1/15/2021:

yes - but beware of the winds out there. make sure you have sturdy stakes and a tarp for the ground. Hubbly and I checked out this area last Sept and there were lots of people out here on BLM land - fairly well kept- thanks to ALL who pack it and pack it out...we had left Joshua Tree NP RVing and went to checked it out. will go back!

Answered on 3/15/2020:

There are plenty of places to pitch a tent just outside of the national park. Be aware and watch the weather for the possibility of high winds in this area. 😊
Restlessbynature
33' Damon Intruder

Yes indeed! Enjoy...

Answered on 3/15/2020:

We were in a van but did see some tent campers and people car camping. Lots of open land to set up your camp on.
HolidayRV
Meridian, ID
30' Holiday Rambler Savoy LE

Answered on 3/15/2020:

Yes, absolutely. Nobody is driving around to check on anything. Enjoy!
Arnell
24' Travel-Lite Falcon F-24-BH
Toyota Tundra

Answered on 3/15/2020:

Absolutely. This is open BLM land. If you use a tent make sure you put down a tarp as the ground can be rocky in places. I've seen many rigs supplement their campsites with varying sized tents. That being said, I can't imagine tent camping in the busiest areas. This is a good opportunity to move farther away from the crowds.
Missy
Nashville, TN
41' Keystone Montana High Country
Ford F-250

Answered on 3/15/2020:

We saw several folks tent camping when we were there last winter.

Answered on 3/15/2020:

You sure can! It's BLM, so we all share - tents, rigs, or car campers!