Jellystone Park Portage Indiana

GPS: 41.594, -87.2077

Monthly Rate: Yes

“Noooooo! So Bad! ”

Reviewed Apr 17, 2018

SAVE YOUR MONEY! In my opinion, this campground does not even deserve 1 star. We had read some bad reviews for this campground, however we had also read some good. So we decided to give this place a try. I really wish we would have gone someplace else. We ended up cutting our trip short and leaving early. We were offered a free nights stay and decided it was not even worth it. In my opinion, this campground should not even be affiliated with the Yogi Bear brand. I was sorely disappointed with so many aspects of this place.

First of all, it seems as if this park is mainly seasonal campers and permanent residents. There are many RVs and trailers that are unkept and lawns unmowed.

There are no family bathrooms or family showers. Which is only a con for me because we have small children.

The lifeguards at the pool take a break every half hour and make everyone get out of the pool until they are done.

The playground was full of liter.

The beach (if you can even call it a beach) was littered with cigarette butts and I even found a piece of broken glass laying on the sand! From that point on I would not allow my children on the beach.

Quiet hours are 11pm on weekdays and 12am on weekends. Which may be okay for some people; however, I have small children who go to sleep a lot earlier than that.

There was very loud music being played well past midnight. By loud, I mean it sounded like a full band was playing! Could be heard throughout the entire campground.

Half of the arcade games were not working and there were no refunds.

If you do win tickets, they are "taxed" so you don't actually get all of your tickets.

We did not see Yogi Bear once our entire time there!

I do have to mention that we did have a decent camp site and the bathrooms were kept nicely clean. The staff also seemed friendly. However, this is not enough for my family to be returning.

I do not recommend this campground at all! If you are looking for a Yogi for family fun, check out the Yogi In Fremont, IN!

Big Big Trippers
Seattle, WA
30 Airstream 30FB Bunk
2015 GMC Denali HD
“Nope...never, ever, again!”

Reviewed Aug 27, 2016

This was our first stay at a Yogi Bear’s Jellystone Park and we originally envisioned it as a KOA on Steroids. As we were traveling through the Midwest in midsummer, we were fighting a two-front battle against the oppressive humidity and a bored six-year old—we needed a pool and we needed it bad. With their reliably clean pools and mildly entertaining playgrounds, the KOAs had proven themselves a valuable ally. From the look of the Portage Indiana Jellystone’s website, we would have both and then some…a KOA on steroids! Well it was definitely a park on drugs, but not steroids…more like meth. If gang-bangers and a distinct 1970s-era, run-down trailer park ambiance is your thing, then I highly recommend the Portage Jellystone.

There had to be over 1,000 sites on the property and 99.99% of those appeared to be permanently occupied by parked “trailers.” This was obviously the vacation mecca for the greater Chicago area. Our site was situated well inside the tight, maze-like layout of narrow “streets” and was incredibly difficult to maneuver our trailer into. Luckily, we quickly had a large contingent of residents, Bud Lite Lime and Newport Menthol butts in-hand, grading my backing prowess. Now I’m a very competent trailer-backer-upper, but getting our rig into this site was freakin’ horrible! Very little room to swing our truck around and the back-half of the site was a coagulated mess of mud and what I can only guess was sewage from the previous day’s rainstorm.

While not paved, our site was a wonderful combination of two-parts gravel and one-part cigarette butts and beer bottle tops. The site was not level and I’m still trying to get my Lynx Leveling blocks clean from where they sunk into the muck. The sewer hook-up was a piece crap (pun intended) and made our ingress/egress even more difficult due to its location. Our 30amp electrical (50amp wasn’t available) was pretty shady, but still managed to run one of our air conditioners, so thankfully we didn’t have to endure being serenaded throughout the evening by the slow-roll, golfcart DJ and the regularly scheduled freight trains.

The trees hadn’t been pruned for a while and luckily the branch that fell on us during the night was small and didn’t do any damage.

A pool and a pond, but the pond would be good for you…Jellystone Portage has both a pool complex and a pond that claims to be e-coli and bacteria free! We tried out both and the good news is that none of us has got sick, so the claims must be true!

This was, without a doubt, the worse campground we have ever experienced. Stay away. If there were negative stars, we would given it - 5!

about Jellystone Park Portage Indiana?

• basketball court
  • propane
  • restaurant
  • rv storage
  • swimming pool: outdoor

Woodland village mobile home and rv park
Woodland Village Mobile Home & RV Park
Portage, Indiana
Flying j travel plaza lake station in
Flying J Travel Plaza
Lake Station, Indiana
Loves travel stop gary in
Love's Travel Stop