Hugo Point County Park

aearles
MI
30 Airstream 30FB
2015 RAM 2500 Power Wagon
“Public boat launch with maybe legal dry-camping...”

Reviewed Nov 23, 2015

This is a nice little park and boat launch, I found it using Campendium's free camp search, but found conflicting info as to whether RV camping was actually allowed, or what the fees are... so we went for it!

The site mostly consists of a gravel parking area and driveway that leads down to the boat ramps, there is a public use pavilion and public restrooms (disgusting). There is also a water spigot outside the restroom area with running water, the water it produced was green in color but didn't have any odor, I assume it is well or lake pumped, we opted not to drink or fill tanks with it, but I did use it to do a few loads of laundry (5 gal bucket method). There are large garbage cans near the pavilion but no power or dump available.

We camped here through the weekend and were unable to reach anyone at the commissioner's office (per the website) to obtain permission, but no one bothered us. Monday I finally reached someone at the office, and was told "if it says camping on the website, then you're okay, but I'm not sure who you'd contact about the rules." So we've decided to stay here for a few more days and see what happens.

There is a lot (maybe 20-30 vehicles) of traffic during the day, starting fairly early for hunting I imagine, but it quiets down pretty early once the sun sets. Even during the day, you can only hear trucks on the gravel as they make their way to and from the boat launch, and some engine noise occasionally as they pull their boats up the ramp. I'm easily able to work and talk on the phone with clients from the parking area, and we haven't had any problems.

My only problem with this site, and it may just be me, and the gray area rules... but I don't fee comfortable un-hitching the trailer and leaving it unattended for a trip into town.

Without my cell booster, we're pulling 1-2 bars of Verizon LTE, with the booster on, we get 5 bars.

about Hugo Point County Park?

• boat ramp