Horseshoe Lake Recreation Area

Thumb photo on 2 11 15 at 8.15 am
cheesygoons

23 Airstream Flying Cloud
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee
“Cheap, convenient, and creepy”

Reviewed May 08, 2016

This is a cheap primitive campground within easy driving distance of St. Louis. The sites are spread out and there's a good choice between shade or sun. There are a few water spigots scattered throughout the campground, vault toilets, and a dump station at the entrance. In the four days I was here there were never more than 3-4 other campers present, often less. Early mornings were particularly delightful, and at night you could hear crickets and frogs.

Based on all of the above, this place should be a paradise. I can't identify a single thing about it that is actually wrong, but... it feels wrong. More specifically, this place does not feel safe. Another camper was parked across from me for 3 nights and he mentioned feeling deeply unsettled as well. As far as I can tell this feeling comes from a combination of extreme seclusion and abundant street traffic. The campground is about a mile into the state park, across a causeway on an island where there is nothing but the campground. Despite this, cars drive slowly through the campground multiple times per hour, all day, even into the late evening hours. My neighbor mentioned it felt like we were being cased, except nothing bad ever happened to us. I only saw a ranger drive through twice in the time I was here, though he could have come when I was away. I paid for 6 nights but left after 4 due to the vibe. I think if you were with a larger group it would be a perfectly fine place to stay while visiting St. Louis. I would not recommend it to people traveling alone or in pairs.

about Horseshoe Lake Recreation Area?

Safari RV Park
Fairmont City, Illinois
MGM Campground
Granite City, Illinois
St louis ne granite city koa
St. Louis NE-Granite City KOA