Hoot Owl Hollow Campground

1650 Middle Rd.
Dubuque, IA 52002
563-580-9453

Open Seasonally: May - Sept.

“Do not believe their website! ”

Reviewed Jun 30, 2018

Do not believe their website! Game room: Nope. Laundry Room: No. "Large sparkling pool" is covered in plastic. However, to be fair, the husband died two weeks before my arrival and in Iowa only a person with a certification can maintain the pool. And he was the one who was certified.

They do have separate showers and restrooms which were decent, and were kept clean. They also have a playground area.

My phone GPS couldn't find Hoot Owl Hollow and I suspect it is the same reason that there is confusion about the address indicated above. I sent my deposit (they don't take credit or debit cards) to the address on their website (1650 Middle Road). While at the campground, my phone said the address was 1650 Hoot Owl Drive. To add further confusion, the fire department puts little signs at the curb with a 5 digit number. How I finally found the place was using the address 15264 Middle Road which is the advertised address of the business next door. There is a sign at the driveway that says "Campground" but you won't find a sign with the name of the campground anywhere.

Now, this may not be the campground's fault but this could be made clear on the website. I was most frustrated by the lack of laundry facilities when the website said they had on-site laundry (which the owner told me they've never had). I told her I thought they should update the website. The reply? "It costs $100 and I don't have $100."

All that said, it had nice trees. The sites were pretty level. Someone mowed once a week. The hookups taken care of and easy to use. I kept thinking that the place had so much potential. It just needs owners willing to really make the effort. The entire month I stayed, it was never more than 1/4 full and it only reached that many on the weekends. During the week, there was about 8 of us here.

If you are looking for a campground for a few days or a week in the area, there are a lot better options, including some on the Mississippi River. This was the only campground that offered a monthly rate which is why I chose it. However, if I come back to the area, it's unlikely I would stay at Hoot Owl Hollow again.

about Hoot Owl Hollow Campground?

• game room