Hill AFB FamCamp

Layton, UT 84040
801-775-3250

Monthly Rate: Yes
Pad Type: asphalt

Military campground for Active Duty, National Guard, Reservists, Retired, 100% DAV, DoD Civilians.

Thumb uz6ir4rdrnwhjm0tix9xiq
Hills Deployed: O...
Pahrump, NV
41 Forest River Vengeance
2015 Ram 2500 Outdoorsman

Hills Deployed: Operation Adventure would stay here again

“Great but has some issues”

Reviewed Jun 01, 2018

We would love to give this a higher review, but the campground has some flaws that prevent that. Let's start with the PROs list....

As ususal, military facilities (FamCamps) are great places to stay. They are usually smaller than standard RV parks, which mean less people. They are ALWAYS clean, the people are friendlier and quieter, and the military community has a family feel amongst all who pass through. The added bonus is that you have full use of the base facilities as well, including a commissary, exchange, gym, parks, etc.

This particular campground is really nice. They have their own dog park, as well as a larger one on base. They have a really nice rec. room with movies, books, comfy leather chairs, free wifi, and office space to work semi-privately. There is a small laundry room with 4 washers and 4 dryers and a free ice machine. The camp hosts are EXTREMELY nice and helpful and keep the facilities immaculate. There is a large park next door, with a kids splash area, covered picnic benches, and plenty of room to have your own football game. There are walking paths that lead to duck ponds, trees and grass every where, sidewalks along all the streets, and several gas stations, fast food places, and banking facilities on base. It is typical of what you would expect from an Air Force Base.

The Cons.....

FamCamp, like most RV parks, is located right next to a major road. The road is busy most of the day, and doesn't really quit down until after 10pm. It's bearable, but a bit annoying at times. Also, Hill AFB is home to the new F-35 fighter jets, which are cool to see and watch, but after the first day or two get extremely annoying with their flying (because the are SOOOO loud). If you can get past the noise (which we learned to ignore) the biggest CON here is the RV sites. Although you are on level asphalt and have full hookups, what should be one large pull through site is actually two sites, butt to butt. Not only do you have a neighbor at your rear end, the space between sites is fairly small, so you feel like 4 RVs are parked in one RV location. (Hope you like your neighbors). The water and electric hook ups are also located in odd locations, in relativity as to how they have you park. Make sure you have at least 30-40 feet of water hose, sewer hose, and power cords.

There are a few sites, along the back road next to the track, which are single pull through sites. If you can reserve these, you would have a much better experience. They have plenty of overflow area, so if you don't make reservations, you will at least have a place to dry camp until something becomes available. Overall, we really enjoyed Hill AFB and the surrounding areas of Salt Lake City (plenty of things to do here). We would stay again, but would definitely reserver a back row site.

1 review not included in the overall rating
The reviews below are not up to Campendium's standards for quality and reliability and therefore are not counted toward the overall star rating. Please see our FAQ page for more information.
Site Number: 12, 29, 33, 36, D

TrailTrackers would stay here again

“Camp Host lady didn't think I deserved to be there”

Reviewed Jul 08, 2018

I arrived and was immediately judged as "unworthly". If not for her husband who is a retired Marine, I'm sure she would have told me to leave. I recently received a 100% DAV rating and did not yet have a base ID card; I did have a temporary pass from the visitor's center. She at first told me I needed an ID card to stay at the FamCamp. However, her husband happened to be in the office and he said that I was fine and was authorized to stay.
Our first stay was for 6 nights and after 3 she told us to move from site 12 to site 29. Then because the camp was "full" she said we had to leave; she said we could return in a week. So we made a reservation. She gave us site 33 on our return. However, after just 3 days she told us to move to site 36. When I plugged in my surge guard it indicated that the pedastel had an open ground. When I informed her of this she acted extrememly annoyed and treated me like I was an idiot complainer. Her first words were, "The people who were just here before you didn't have a problem".
She told us we had 2 choices; we could either leave or move to site "D". However, in site D you can't leave your sewer connected because that's the public dump station. Even though I said that would be fine she rolled her eyes and walked off. She never did have an electrician come service the pedastel. In fact, the very next morning I noticed that she had put somebody else in site 36. I also noticed that they didn't have a surge guard, so I hope nobody dies while in that spot.
The FamCamp does not have cable TV, but this wasn't an issue for us. It also doesn't have WiFi unless you are actually inside the rec room. Not sure if all military campgrounds are like this though. Once again this wasn't a problem for us because we have a dedicated hotspot. Also, they have 4 washers and dryers, but other people routinely go in there and use all 4 at once. I literally mean that 1 person will go in there, take all 4 for themselves and tie them up for hours. Not to mention that people routinely wash "dog stuff" in them and never clean the dog hair, even though there is a sign prohibiting washing dog stuff. Oh and God help you if you get put into a spot that is close to the dog run area. Those people never shut up and neither do their dogs. I heard the life stories of countless "dog lovers" and I never entered the "dog area".

Finally, about 75% of the spaces are back in only, and they are super tight if you have a long RV. Expect the rear of your RV to be only inches from the guy behind you. All this being said, compared to other RV parks in the local area, you can't beat the daily rate. The closest price-wise is River Bridge in Morgan.

Sprint 4G/LTE