Harrisville State Park

Thumb avatar airstream 1
TakeThatExit.com
Olympia, WA
30 Airstream Flying Cloud, bunk model
“LOVED our view, nice showers, no cell reception”

Reviewed Sep 02, 2015

We had an amazing spot here, I think it might have been the best in the park - spot 101.

The spot was a little tricky backing into and very slanted, so we had to use levelers on both tires to decrease the slant. But once we got backed in and leveled, we were very happy campers thanks to the BEACH VIEWS!

The spot felt fairly private - with lots of trees on the door side of the trailer (not so much on the other side). It seems this campground has a LOT of long-time residents - lots of RVs with signs, flags, decorations - but since it's a state park I'm not sure seasonal camping is available - so maybe it was a caravan of some kind.

Our spot had a big grouping of trees which our kids used as a "fort" and lots of sand and water access on the water side.

The bathrooms were some of the NICEST I've seen in a state park. Free showers. Tiled walls. Big and spacious - I think they rank among the best we've had.

Some other things to consider - there is NO cell reception, just a faint signal good enough for a text message of two (Verizon). Impossible to use my Verizon Jetpack to get work done (bummer). The state park is located in what feels like the middle of nowhere - I had to drive 20 minutes south to use the free Wifi at McDonald's and even then it was dreadfully slow. We like to take day trips and explore - but with the nearest town 30 minutes away, it was hard to do this. We did check out the Sturgeon Point Lighthouse - just 15 minutes away - and we recommend that.

Also, while we were there, the nearby township of Harrisville had a sewage breach (ewww?) - causing sewage to run into their stormwater and ultimately into the lake. . . resulting in ecoli being found in the water - enough for no swimming warnings. I'm guessing this will be cleared up soon, but at the time we were visiting it was definitely a bummer.

If you can get a spot on the beach and don't mind no cell service - I definitely recommend this state park!

Verizon Voice Only

about Harrisville State Park?

• bike rental
  • swimming beach
  • cabins

Van Etten Lake
Dept. Natural Resources
Oscoda, Michigan
Jewell lake campground huron nf
Jewell Lake Campground