Government Springs (GH1)

VT
25 Airstream Classic
2007 Chevrolet Silverado
Site Number: GH 1 - Government Springs

lamber would stay here again

“Loved dispersed camping experience in Big Bend!”

Reviewed Mar 02, 2017

This was the fourth site we occupied during out 14 day limit in Big Bend. We were here in January 2017. This was also the site we were able to secure for the longest time - we boondocked here for 9 days. I should say that I did put $1 for nightly rate - only because it is hard to predict. In Big Bend, you pay $12.00 for a 14 day back-country permit - so if you stay for 14 days, then your nightly rate is less than $1.

What I liked about this site was the accessibility to the main road in Big Bend. We were just 1/4 to 1/2 mile onto the Grapevine Hills dirt road, and within easy access to Panther Junction and the road to the Chisos Basin. This is a great, central location for exploring the park.

The site overlooks the desert, and has some fantastic expansive views. And is somewhat protected with mountains/hills on one side. We had some extreme windy weather for a day or two and I think it would have been worse had we been in a more exposed location.

The other major bonus to this site is that it is one of the few spots in the park where cell service is available. I had great ATandT coverage from this dispersed campsite. Location must be the key here. I'm told there is a private ranch adjacent to the park here and this is the reason for a nearby tower. Not sure if that's true - but service is good!

This is also one of the bigger rig-friendly dispersed camping spots in Big Bend. We easily accessed this site. The road into this site is dirt, but short and well-graded and the site is large and spacious enough to maneuver most rigs. Of course, leave that up to the rangers to decide when requesting a permit. They know the limits of each dispersed campsite and can guide you on choosing the best location for your rig.

Site Number: GH1

mf01 would stay here again

“Awesome Camping Site!”

Reviewed Oct 26, 2016

I wanted to get to Big Bend for some of their offroad sites. This was one for sure. It was really hot early in the week, so it was open. I paid $12 for the permit, but it is for 14 days. The views were awesome and it feels remote. You can see Chisos Mountains. Definitely go camp here if you want a dry camping experience.

about Government Springs (GH1)?

• Dispersed Camping

Paint gap 1
Paint Gap 1
Grapevine hills gh2 gh3
Grapevine Hills (GH-2 & GH-3)
Paint gap pg2 pg3
Paint Gap (PG-2 & PG-3)
Paint gap 4
Paint Gap 4
Big Bend National Park, Texas
Chisos basin campground big bend np
Chisos Basin Campground