Gallagher Flat State Wildlife Recreation Area

Dept. Fish & Wildlife

U.S. 97
Chelan, WA 98816

Pad Type: dirt

Accessibility is not guaranteed, always scout ahead before driving down dirt roads.
Learn more: Boondocking 101

Thumb us avatar
Van-Tramp
Longmont, CO
27 Airstream International

Van-Tramp would stay here again

“It will do in a pinch, not far out of Chelan, WA”

Reviewed Feb 25, 2015

Google showed a few dirt roads leading around the rec area so I set out to check it out. As luck would have it, there are no gates and no signs prohibiting camping/parking so I set off down the dirt road to find my spot. Abut a 1/2 mile out I was met by a very low hanging tree, effectively blocking me from going any further into the rec area, and I was on a single lane dirt road with no place to turn around the van, let alone a van with a trailer in tow. I weighed my options and chose to back it up a hundred yards where it was level (enough) to get the turn around done. My van’s power steering screamed and groaned, but it pulled through. I settled in at the next area that I could pull the van off the dirt road. Guarded by a few trees and shrubbery from the highway, I have had a peaceful afternoon, evening, and night. I hiked out to the end of the dirt road (I’m happy I did not continue forward, the road gets very rutted out here) to find a great spot to camp… if it were not for all the trash.

Thumb us avatar
Gallagher Flat Wildlife Rec Area | Van-Tramp.com

It is a risk of van-dwelling; pulling into your planned overnight stop only to see signs posted prohibiting overnight parking. That is what happened when I pulled into the Walmart just outside...

Lakeshore rv park