Fourmile Recreation Area

719-539-3591
719-553-1400

Pad Type: dirt
Open Seasonally: Yes

Accessibility is not guaranteed, always scout ahead before driving down dirt roads.
Learn more: Boondocking 101

AT&T 4G
Thumb dsc 0029
Lena
Littleton, CO
18 Kodiak Express Hybrid 182e
2008 Toyota Sequoia
Site Number: Road 308

Lena would stay here again

“GORGEOUS dispersed, free camping near Buena Vista”

Reviewed Jul 07, 2017

I scoped out the system road 308 a couple weeks before we camped it, since I needed to be down in Buena Vista for work. I drove 285 to the Windmill Drive entrance to the Fourmile Rec Area at Road 308. I scoped on a Wednesday in early June. There are 6-7 spots on this road that I saw. There was ONE camper on this whole road that day.

When we arrived to camp, the first spot on the right, set in a small Aspen grove was already taken. I kept driving, on the dirt road that is uneven enough to need to crawl through parts, past one spot that is hidden back in the trees, to what I'll call the third, "Straight in" spot. The actual spot was 100 yards from the dirt road, so even when off-raoders came through, they didn't bother us at all. The campsite was huge, with pletny of trees to hang the hammock from and for the boys to play.

The 4th spot on the right, up at the top of a hill was AMAZING. Views for MILES both directions. Huge, open area. Incredible. I wanted to stay here forever.

Cell service all around the area we were at had great service.

We drove down Mushroom Gulch (I'll post another review there) quite a few times, so have much to say about it.

We also drove further down 285 and went up System road 305, across part of 376 (Lenhardy Cutoff) and back down 315 to scope out these spots. I'll post another review on the Lenhardy Cutoff specifically. Some of these spots were amazing, up on the ridges of the mountains, with incredible views. It was also quite windy up there. AND, there were TONS of ATV/ORV campers there. So it is perfect for campers with toys, but if you didn't have toys, it might be loud and annoying to be up there.

AT&T 4G

Thumb 20160528 144343
JennGrover
Pittsburgh, PA
16 Little Guy T@b
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 3.6L

JennGrover would stay here again

“Fantastic views, huge sites”

Reviewed Aug 12, 2016

There are many dispersed sites available in the Fourmile Recreation Area, near the Arkansas River and Buffalo Peaks Wilderness area. To get to these sites, from Buena Vista (BV), take FR 371 (Colorado Ave). Just before reaching the RR tunnels, there is a right hand turn for FR 375. This is also the way to access Lehardy Cutoff and Turtle Rock. The sights are along along 375 and throughout the Fourmile Recreation Area.

This area offers many sites, with different types of views. I chose a site where my trailer was parked a little closer to the road than I preferred but the site went way back, providing phenomenal views of the Collegiate Peaks. My site was enormous, ad technically, I guess tenters could have opted to take some of the spots within the sight, but no one did. If you tent camp, this would be an awesome location as there are a number of established fire rings with great views.

Things I liked: easy access to BV for services and amenities, proximity to the Arkansas River (371 goes from BV to Granite, along the Arkansas), large sites, beautiful scenery, OK cellular service.

I did not have any TV reception, but did get 4G. As with all of my sites in the Collegiate Peaks region, data from cell phone service seemed to die during the late afternoons, even with a booster. All but once I was able to continue working. On that one occasion I drove down and parked at the Elephant Rock campground to complete my work. I averaged about 2 bars of 4G on Verizon, without the booster.

The sites can be quite windy. If I would have known this, I might have positioned my trailer differently within the site so that my awning did not take such a beating. I had plenty of sun for solar.

There is a tremendous amount of OHV activity in the area. It is really an OHV area first and foremost, so I did not mind. It was much busier on weekends. I grabbed the site on a Monday, during the late afternoon.

I am rating the noise at 5, because after dark it was silent and if you know this is an OHV area, OHV noise should be expected. I did have the pleasure of listening to a coyote pack howl a few times, but other than that, it was a quiet area in the evenings.

Potable water is available at the Love's, Visitor Center, and Public Works office in BV and I dumped for $7 at the Poncha Springs Visitors Center. There is a Walmart in Salida, about 30 minutes, away. The City Market in town is OK, but not great. There are also Family Dollar and Hometown Shopko stores in town.

about Fourmile Recreation Area?

• Dispersed Camping

Elephant rock buena vista co
Elephant Rock