Fort Kearny State Rec Area

30 Road
Gibbon, NE 68840
308-865-5305

Max Length: 45 ft

John would stay here again

“Well manicured state park conveniently located off I-80”

Reviewed Sep 22, 2017

We were headed east on I-80 and had planned to stay in a Walmart parking lot but 90+ degree temps made electric hookups a necessity. We found Ft Kearney after a quick internet search. It's between exits on the interstate so when leaving we just continued traveling east on the secondary road to the next exit and didn't have to backtrack so coming here only added a few miles to our trip. The campground is well maintained and many sites were available first-come-first-serve on a Friday night in mid-September. We selected a 50 amp, level site in a shaded area. All sites are back-in but none provide water or sewer. There is a dump station. We did not check out the bath houses. The folks at the check-in station were friendly and made us feel very welcome. This is a great overnight stop when traveling through this area. The fee is $20/night for an electric site plus an $8 fee is you don't have a Nebraska park pass (which we did not). We have an 40' motor home and most sites would accommodate us.

Thumb 120
ReneeC

18 Springdale Summerland 1800 Bunkhouse
“Crop dusting and rotting fish.”

Reviewed May 25, 2015

Because we were staying over a weekend we had reserved a site online. That wasn't necessary since there were plenty of sites open. Additionally, we unknowingly chose one of the worst sites from the online map. We stayed here in 2012 in a pop-up camper.

This park has several positives, but I still wasn't able to give it a good review. Check-in was easy. Nice ponds for those who enjoy fishing. My husband enjoyed running on a flat well marked trail. Bathhouse was fine with affordable pay showers. Electricity at the site.

The bad: very few water places to get drinking water. It was a hike to get water. Our site wasn't set up well. We either didn't have a fire pit or it was nearly in the next site. Our site also seemed to be a major path to swing sets behind us. Kids and parents constantly wandered through our site.

The gross: Garbage dumpsters were located right across the street from us. By morning we were driven out by the stench of rotting fish and flies everywhere. Really gross.

The scary: It was wild waking up at 7 am on Sunday morning to the sound of a low flying plane. Then it was scary to realize it was a crop duster spraying the field beside our camper. Not something I want myself or my kids breathing in.

The crop dusting is what would prevent me from staying here again. Otherwise, I would consider trying a different site, but not knowing what they were spraying is a deal breaker for me.

about Fort Kearny State Rec Area?

Bassway Strip State Wildlife Area