Forks Campground

Gila National Forest

East Forest Camp Rd. Silver City, NM 88061 505-536-2250 505-388-8201 Official Website

GPS: 33.1837, -108.2061

Open Seasonally: Yes
Max Stay: 14

Accessibility is not guaranteed, always scout ahead before driving down dirt roads.
Learn more: Boondocking 101

Verizon
T-Mobile
Thumb withlacootchie mutual mine 1
Liam n Maggie
15' T@B Outback 320 S
Site Number: 614 E

Liam n Maggie would stay here again

“Perfect campsite near Gila Cliff Dwellings”

Reviewed Mar 28, 2019

Been living full time in our camper for the past 20 weeks, and this is our favorite camping spot (so far)!!

We had planned to visit Gila Cliff Dwellings and picked Gila Hot Springs Campground as our base, based on reviews and the notion of getting into a hot spring. We pulled in and were told “we’re all booked”. I asked about other options. “Go north on route 15. There’s an RV Park on the left.” So we went there and were told it would be $25.66 per night. It was a farm with a few campers on a dirt road with no personality and zero privacy. We decided to go back down Route 15 to check out some of the other spots we saw on the way up, and that we had read about in our search.

We went no further than ½ mile and turned left into Forks. Well, we were treated to an amazing campground with beautiful views of mountains and a river below from up high on a hill. Everything works out we say, and this was no exception.
Free camping with such privacy and incredible views! So great we had to open a bottle of wine and drink in the moment with all its peace and beauty. We were soooo happy to have found this spot.
There is plenty of room for smaller-sized rigs, and plenty of space between the sites for privacy. It is boondocking except for a restroom with a no flush toilet. No water and no trash. Fine with us, as we felt safe and in a beautiful place. Water is available at the Gila Cliff Dwelling Visitor Center 4 miles north on route 15, so bring your containers to fill up there.

The sad thing was seeing some trash left by others. We walked around our campsite area filling a small trash bag of equal parts soda cans, juice boxes, and candy wrappers to beer cans, bottles, and cigarette butts to assure us that parents are missing the opportunity to teach their children about the importance of taking care of out planet. Oh well.
We were so glad to have found this gem of a spot to call home for the night and would recommend it to anyone interested in a peaceful and beautiful spot to boondock near the Gila Cliff Dwellings.
Added note: others have advised to take Route 35 up and we will agree.

Verizon

Thumb zlogo circle ml 125c
Zennie (Uphill Zen)
21' Toyota Sun-Land Express

Zennie (Uphill Zen) would stay here again

“Beautiful cliffs, and river access too!”

Reviewed Aug 26, 2017

I loved this place! This free National Forest campground is located on a little bluff overlooking the Gila River. The forks of the river join together near here, hence the name of the place. On the opposite side of the river are beautiful cliffs, so it makes for a really pretty campsite view.

The place was totally empty when I arrived, so I was able to select a spot with the river right behind me, and a gorgeous view. It looked like most of the spots do have a view. I left just as the 4th of July crowd started arriving, so I suspect it filled up then.

The small campground has a clean pit toilet, but no other facilities. There is a short road you can walk down to reach the river, and that's a lovely spot for relaxing, sitting with your feet in the water, or some people even went swimming. The only water available is the river.

The road up here from Silver City is a winding little mountain road, all paved, but slow going. But it's a beautiful drive, so just take it slow and enjoy the scenery.

When I next visit the Gila, I think I'll end up staying at the same place. It's wonderful!

T-Mobile 4G/LTE
T-Mobile 3G
T-Mobile Voice Only

Thumb zlogo circle ml 125c
Cliffs and Camping at the Gila Forks - Uphill Zen

I'm camping at the Gila Forks campground, a lovely spot right above the Gila River. The forks of the river come together near here, and there are fabulous cliffs just across the wa...

• Dispersed Camping