Dutchman Campground

Black Hills National Forest

2 Reviews
Deerfield Cove Road Hill City, SD 57745 605-343-1567 605-673-9200 Reservations: 877-444-6777 Official Website

• Reviews

Overview of Dutchman Campground

Reservations yes

Elevation 6056 ft

Max Stay 14

Q&A - Ask the Community about Dutchman Campground

Campendium users haven't asked any questions about Dutchman Campground

Reviews of Dutchman Campground 2 people have reviewed this location.

Confirmed by 2 Users
Last reported 7/6/2018
Last reported 7/6/2018
“Peaceful, beautiful, clean!”

Reviewed 7/6/2018

The sites are large and spread out. The campground and facilities are clean. About 20 minutes from Hill City, but worth the longer drive for the view and peace.

Rosy would stay here again

Thumb 11128630 530166351413 7122092544766076318 n
NDNomad
Watford City, ND
“Absolute solitude in the trees”

Reviewed 9/10/2017

Deerfield lake is a hike from Hill City, but it is worth the trek. What you get is a complete wilderness experience with a few amenities such as water faucets every few campsites, vault toilets, fire rings with BBQ grates, picnic tables, and most of the sites looked fairly level and deep. I have a 30' travel trailer and half ton pickup, I needed to park partially beside my RV to be clear of the road so my guess is my site was about 40' as there was a tree about a foot behind my RV preventing me from backing up farther.

When I pulled up to the information board at the entrance to the campground I was greeted by the camp host on a side by side, he was very helpful and informative. I asked if he would recommend a spot, he said I was putting him on the spot and he didn't like that in a joking manner and said to look at site 25. About ten minutes after I got to the site and was un-hitching the host came by with some paperwork to fill out and got a payment, we talked a little more and he excused himself and I went back to un-hitching. It is nice to be left to do the setup of your RV like he did. Throughout my stay he drove by and chatted a minimal amount of time and it was pleasant.

This campground is run by an independent contractor so the price is higher than I was expecting. $20 a night is high in my mind. Normal price for a campground like this to me is either $6 or $14 so That is why 4 stars were given not 5.

With Verizon, cell service was pretty spotty, I would get 1 bar 1x in the back of my camper and in the front I would get 1 bar 4g and somewhere in the middle I could get 3 bars 3g. I could check email, check facebook, and one morning I set my phone on the floor in the front of my RV and turned on mobile hotspot and was watching youtube videos in HD without much buffering in the beginning.

I didn't even try setting up my automatic satellite dish, the trees are too thick I imagine

As far as solar, a guy could go mad trying to keep portable panels in the sun and not being shaded so I just laid them on the ground and was getting 2 amps continually in the morning, afternoon and evening i'm betting were closer to 5 amps off 2 100 amp panels.

NDNomad would stay here again

Be the first to add a note for Dutchman Campground!

Be the first to add a video for Dutchman Campground!

Have you written a blog post about Dutchman Campground?

Artboard Created with Sketch.

Deerfield