Dutchman Campground

Max Stay: 14
Thumb 11128630 530166351413 7122092544766076318 n
NDNomad
Watford City, ND

NDNomad would stay here again

“Absolute solitude in the trees”

Reviewed Sep 10, 2017

Deerfield lake is a hike from Hill City, but it is worth the trek. What you get is a complete wilderness experience with a few amenities such as water faucets every few campsites, vault toilets, fire rings with BBQ grates, picnic tables, and most of the sites looked fairly level and deep. I have a 30' travel trailer and half ton pickup, I needed to park partially beside my RV to be clear of the road so my guess is my site was about 40' as there was a tree about a foot behind my RV preventing me from backing up farther.

When I pulled up to the information board at the entrance to the campground I was greeted by the camp host on a side by side, he was very helpful and informative. I asked if he would recommend a spot, he said I was putting him on the spot and he didn't like that in a joking manner and said to look at site 25. About ten minutes after I got to the site and was un-hitching the host came by with some paperwork to fill out and got a payment, we talked a little more and he excused himself and I went back to un-hitching. It is nice to be left to do the setup of your RV like he did. Throughout my stay he drove by and chatted a minimal amount of time and it was pleasant.

This campground is run by an independent contractor so the price is higher than I was expecting. $20 a night is high in my mind. Normal price for a campground like this to me is either $6 or $14 so That is why 4 stars were given not 5.

With Verizon, cell service was pretty spotty, I would get 1 bar 1x in the back of my camper and in the front I would get 1 bar 4g and somewhere in the middle I could get 3 bars 3g. I could check email, check facebook, and one morning I set my phone on the floor in the front of my RV and turned on mobile hotspot and was watching youtube videos in HD without much buffering in the beginning.

I didn't even try setting up my automatic satellite dish, the trees are too thick I imagine

As far as solar, a guy could go mad trying to keep portable panels in the sun and not being shaded so I just laid them on the ground and was getting 2 amps continually in the morning, afternoon and evening i'm betting were closer to 5 amps off 2 100 amp panels.

about Dutchman Campground?