Deschutes River State Recreation Area

541-739-2322
Reservations: 800-452-5687

Pad Type: mixed
Max Length: 30 ft

Located near the confluence of the Deschutes and Columbia Rivers at the east end of the Columbia River Gorge. Tree-shaded and open meadow camping with direct access to the Deschutes River. Many sites have water views. Several hiking, biking, and equestrian trails begin in the campground.

Site Number: G57

Karen T would stay here again

“Great stop on our way to Bend”

Reviewed Sep 23, 2017

A cute little campground, we were lucky to be able to snag a spot in the overflow....which was great for us. We don't need hook ups, and this location put us further away from road and train noise. In fact, we had a very peaceful quiet night. This is the starting point of the Rails to Trails bike trail along the Deschutes River. We had an enjoyable day riding the trail...32 mile round trip. Free showers to boot! Yeah!

Thumb image
Weazelll
OR
23 PleasureWay Plateau XL
Site Number: B48

Weazelll would stay here again

“Great spot except for bugs and train noise”

Reviewed Jun 08, 2016

After driving through the Columbia River Gorge I was looking for a spot to camp for the night. I pulled into the Deschutes River State Recreation Area and was immediately impressed.

The campground has a loop for those who need hookups but I chose the "B" loop which doesn't have hookups. This is essentially a big grassy area with fire rings and picnic tables arranged in a semi circle.

My stay was on a day that the temperature reached 100°. The big trees in the campground provided a lot of shade. Enough that it was still pleasant to sit outside and read and drink an adult beverage.

There were only two downsides that I had with my stay. First, it is near a rail line and trains seem to go by every couple of hours. Second, even though the bugs didn't bother me much while I was sitting outside when I went to bed I bet I had 100 or more flitting around inside my rig. I was very careful to keep the screens closed so I'm pretty stoked about how so many got inside, although a lot of them were of the "Noseeum" variety. Even weirder they were all gone by morning. So however they got it must be the same way they got out.

Bottom line though, it was a great spot for an overnight stay and with the Deshutes River at your doorstep it would also be a great place to stay more than just one night.

Thumb tyg hiker logo
Deschutes River State Recreation Area - Oregon - Those Young Guys

Deschutes River State Recreation Area – Oregon Posted By lisa, On March 6, 2010 Campground: Deschutes River State Recreation Area Location: Wasco, Oregon Site: A15 Cost: $12 Services:...

• boat ramp