Deland-St. John's River KOA

2999 State Road 44 West
DeLand, FL 32720
386-736-6601

Pad Type: gravel

“High Price, Little Value”

Reviewed Mar 03, 2018

This campground has recently been branded as a KOA. It appears to have started as a marina with a gravel lot for boat storage and RVs. Over the past couple of years they have added full hookups and are now a full service campground. For the price, this place was a major disappointment, basically a marina with some RV parking. Finding a place in Florida in February is difficult and the $65 per night price tag for a back-in site is not unexpected. But we expected more from the campground.

The roads are paved. However, the permanent residents are allowed to park on the road, which makes it difficult for big rigs to get into their sites. Signage is scarce for your arrival. You are supposed to take the left fork when you approach the office. Be careful of the check-in time. It's not stated on their website or mailings. I emailed and asked and was told 1:00. I would double check if you want to arrive early. Rumor has it they charge $15 for early arrivals.

The sites are gravel and can be pull thrus or back-ins. Some are surrounded by grass, some are basically in a gravel parking lot. Some sites are riverside, but those are few. Our site was a gravel back in, surrounded by soggy land with grass (soggy enough our site had a buried nest of eggs on that a critter dug up one night to our surprise). The site just fit our 40' RV. We had to park our car on the grass.

The placement of the hookups is random. For some sites, you walk out your door and your neighbor's sewer hose greets you. We didn't bother hooking up our sewer hose because it would have taken two hoses. We'll wait till our next stop to dump.

There are a good number of permanent residents in the area bordering the woods where we ended up. Nothing puts me off a campground more than having to start at my neighbor's junk strewn about their campsite. In addition, some residents don't feel the need to pick up after their dogs.

There is one bathroom for the campground. The laundry room has only three washers and three dryers ($2 each). The day I tried to do laundry I would have been third in line. I went into town instead (I highly recommend Southside Coin Laundry).

Picnic table are scarce. All the permanent sites and long term residents seem to have them. We requested one and was told they would try, but were short of maintenance personnel. We did spot some picnic table kits in the maintenance area. I guess they couldn't be bothered to put them together.

There were a few good things. There is a combination grill and roof top bar next to the campground office. We enjoyed sitting on the roof on a sunny afternoon. The campground WiFi is decent. You won't be streaming Netflix (and shouldn't), but is fine for email and causal web surfing. Verizon was 2 bars which I boosted to 3 bars with my MiMo antenna on my Jetback. Over the air TV is plentiful. The Blue Heron Boat Tour which leaves from the adjoining marina was enjoyable. Garbage was picked up from your site daily.

This place has potential. But to us, there were too many short comings for the price. They have the KOA name, now they need to live up to the KOA standard. We won't be back unless major improvements happen.

about Deland-St. John's River KOA?

• wifi: free