Custer Crazy Horse Campground

Gary
Box Elder, SD
30 Airstream Classic
2015 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali
“Interesting park on the north side of town”

Reviewed Mar 07, 2016

Good Verizon 2 bars LTE 37.26/5.04 mbps down/up

Thumb 1926935 606505542753672 1849089407 n 420x420
Nathan @ Wand'rly

14 Volkswagen Bus, Champagne Edition, Riviera Campwagen

Nathan @ Wand'rly would stay here again

“Sites are tight, price is high”

Reviewed Feb 03, 2015

We're pulling in after a long, gorgeous day (but long) exploring the Black Hills. We've already been here for a couple of days, so our rig is all setup, just coming home in our van.

An older gentleman is walking in the road. At first I pay no mind, pedestrians get the right of way. But then I recognize him.

The day before I was doing 7mph in the 5mph park. I get it, I have a bunch of rugrats and I try to respect the whole "go slow, don't kill kids" thing. Anyway, this fellow hops out of his horse trailer that he's living in and starts yelling at me to slow down. I see the 2mph excess on my speedometer and thusly proceed to bring it well under what my gauge can even register.

As I pass by him, he waves me to stop. I won't get into details but suffice to say he feels the need to play grandpa police and the conversation ends with me getting out of the vehicle, acting like an ass, there is cussing, cursing and otherwise, and eventually we all go on our way (both of us satisfied, I assume, at the amount of finger pointing and chest puffing we'd done).

So anyway, I forget about it... Until I realize that he's literally walking in front of us now at whatever 1.04 mph speed a person can trudge along at here on our return from a great day I these beautiful lands.

I catch the guy staring at our campsite twice that evening. Like, "old man watching you for way too long" staring. I find him trailing my kids on their bikes, hanging around the pool every single time they're there.

So I complain to the manager, in fact inform her that I'm downright disturbed by this guy. She calls him in and tells him to stay away from us, in the kind of way that made it obvious he was a workamper and she couldn't afford to lose him.

He doesn't bother us again, but magically when we go to leave she'd "forgotten" about some $50 in charges she hadn't billed me.

Sweet spot for exploring the Black Hills but just try not to hang around the park too long. Also, there's a killer giant rock pile formation to play on if you prefer that sort of thing to a swing set. :)

about Custer Crazy Horse Campground?

• swimming pool: onsite