Cimarrona Campground

Max Stay 14

Max Length 35 ft

Q&A - Ask the Community about Cimarrona Campground

Campendium users haven't asked any questions about Cimarrona Campground

Reviews of Cimarrona Campground 2 people have reviewed this location.

Thumb resized 20171024 094204 6133
Camptown Races
KS 21' Winnebago Micro Minnie 2106FBS
“Sometimes a wrong turn takes you to the right place.”

Reviewed 9/28/2018

We made a wrong turn and instead of going toward Lake City from South Fork (I'm the navigator and completely accept fault) we went over Wolf Creek Pass and ended up in Pagosa Springs. I consulted my book "The Wright Guide to Free and Low Cost Campgrounds" and we headed toward Bridge campground in the San Juan National Forest. They were closed. We went on to Williams Creek campground, also closed. We went further to Teal campground where the camp host told us the camp would be closed in the morning but down the road at Cimmarona campground, they would stay open even though the camp host would leave. This is where I decided that sometimes a wrong turn takes you to the right place. It's beautiful. No hookups and the only water is from a spring with a hand pump that is quite a workout and is easier with 2 people. The view is breath taking. There is no cell service at all so you are off the grid but it is worth it. Camp hosts kept the vault toilets spotless! I paid $11 (half price with my federal senior pass) for the last official open night but after that it was free. We bought some firewood ($7/bundle) and had a nice campfire. There is a creek that we tried to fish but caught nothing.
For breakfast I made a one skillet meal on the stove.
With a little olive oil in skillet, start to cook about a half an onion either diced or sliced. I bought a $1 packet of dehydrated hash browns to try. Put them in a bowl with 1 c. boiling water to rehydrate, then add them to the oil/onion in the skillet. While this is browning, I diced some Canadian bacon and tossed that in. Scramble 2 eggs per person in a bowl with a little milk. When hash browns are cooked to your liking, put them on the plates and pour the eggs into the skillet. It won't take them long to cook, then put them on plates and your breakfast is ready!

T-Mobile

Camptown Races would stay here again

“Cozy campground at base of mountain”

Reviewed 10/4/2016

This nice little campground at the base of Cimarrona Mountain offers a natural setting in the aspens and pines. The 25 mile gravel road up can be washboard and mud, but they keep it in pretty good shape. The loop can be potholed and rutted from water runoff. About one third of the sites would fit my 30 ft motorhome with leveling required. Most sites are best for tent camping. There are pit toilets and a hand pump well. I stayed here late in the season when the other campgrounds had closed, so this one was free as was the horse camp up the road. I think it's $20 in season. I've stayed in the spring and July 4th and it's always beautiful. I got a picture of a big owl in the surrounding woods.
You can walk from your site to the Cimarrona trailhead and follow the trail to the top, but you don't have to go that high to get wonderful views. Williams Creek trail takes off from the horse camp is is best suited to horseback. Poison trailhead is at the end of Poison Road and a 45 minute hike takes you into the Weminuche Valley with beautiful views of surrounding mountains and aspen groves. A 5 hour hike takes you to Granite Lake and is best done on horseback. Poison has been taken over by outfitters and is chewed up by horse hooves. There is free camping along Poison Road.
No cell service here. You'll have to enjoy the best Colorado has to offer in this remote setting. Fall is the best time to be here. Usually the last week in September.

Constant Critic would stay here again

Be the first to add a note for Cimarrona Campground!

Be the first to add a video for Cimarrona Campground!

Have you written a blog post about Cimarrona Campground?

Teal Campground

Best combination mountain / water view!

- bigbueller

Sportsman’s Campground & Mountain Cabins

Started rough but ended good

- Bfarmer

Thirtymile

Delightful campground at the confluence of the Rio Grande River and Squaw Creek

- Colorado Highlander

River Hill

Small campground next to the Rio.

- ManxMariner