Chicot State Park

38 Tiffin Allegro Bus
2009 Honda CR-V
“Are you kidding??”

Reviewed Mar 17, 2018

Boy, we did NOT do our homework!
You would think as many times as we have used and contributed to Campendium.com we would have known to look here first. The previous review summed up the general idea of this State Park(?). The only thing, and I mean ONLY, is the area itself. Beautiful cypress groves in and around the lake, wildlife and hiking/biking trails.
Now the rest....
To begin with, we were in the North Landing Campground. 5 miles from the main entrance. OK. We found upon arrival that 95% of the sites are VERY un-level, ours included. We called and moved to one that was much better only to turn off the engine and hear the dumpsite pumping station a mild stones throw away. We searched for another site only to find out it had an overlapping reservation. We decided to just stay put.
The literature given at the gate has a note not to call 911 when the power goes out. No biggie, we've been in the sticks before. On day 3 we had notched 16 power outages. I got my meter and went to the poll. The voltage was high, higher than when I checked after pulling in. I ended up getting my extra cable and hooking up to the neighboring post.
The sites here are in a steep decline not only in elevation but overall repair. We arrived here to quite a few families camping (Spring Break time) but it seems little use happens any other times. The pads are black top but very, very worn out and decaying. I think the fact that we only have one camp-host for the entire 50ish sites in this campground. He is a totally different story... Seemed to be a nice gentlemen...with his 6...yes 6 ferrel cats hanging around his rig. One of which was nice enough to come down to our site and mark his territory on my brand new tires! My wife went to do laundry and the shower house smelled of cat spray....nice.
I'm going to stop....we won't be back, you shouldn't come and Louisiana needs to pony up some cash and fix this place. I could be a really nice park....just not now.

Thumb as
Serenity Found
Broussard, LA
27 Airstream Flying Cloud
2014 RAM 2500 4x4
“Sad State Park”

Reviewed Jul 26, 2017

If you'd like to stay in what appears to be an abandoned WWII army base, this is your spot. This is not what we were expecting. Don't waste your time.

AT&T 4G