Champion Road

Champion Rd.
Las Vegas, NV 89124
702-515-5400

Pad Type: dirt

Accessibility is not guaranteed, always scout ahead before driving down dirt roads.
Learn more: Boondocking 101

Verizon
“Not made for large units”

Reviewed Jan 25, 2018

We stopped here for one night. If you have a small camper or tent it would be a great site.

Very unlevel found only one spot on this rd. You can't get to any other areas.

Verizon

Thumb swfrances
swfrances
Las Vegas, NV
33 Holiday Rambler Vacationer
2001 Suzuki Grand Vitara
“Majestic views and refreshing mountain air!!!”

Reviewed Sep 21, 2016

Primitive camping is available all along Champion Road which is also called Road 203. It is located in the Spring Mountain Recreational Area on Mount Charleston just north of Las Vegas, Nevada.

In 2010 I spent three days at an established campground on Mount Charleston in my then Sprint Mallard motorhome. In 2013 I tent camped with my daughter and granddaughters, and a friend, and were forced to evacuate the mountain when the horrible raging fire that had started in Carpenter Canyon on the other side of the mountain finally reached the canyon area where we were. Then, in April 2016 as well as this past weekend September 2016, I tent camped and more recently was in my motorhome with Cindy and two of my granddaughters.

There are no facilities in these primitive sites with the exception of a fire ring usually made of rocks. However, because of fire potential quite often there are fire prohibitions.

There is plenty of shade with some sites having a great mix of morning sun and afternoon shade or vice versa.

Some of the sites are inaccessible to a large rig so approach cautiously before taking your rig too far down the road.

The sites are nestled in with beautiful towering mountains on almost all views. We saw deer, Chipmunks, rabbits and an assortment of birds. On other camping visits to this area, we saw a beautiful black stallion with his family and wild burros.

The primitive campsites are generally fairly private and spacious. It is possible to hear neighboring campers and some traffic from the nearby canyon roads that go up and down the mountain. However, overall it is peaceful, beautiful and quiet.

The downside of primitive camping is the unfortunate occurrence of previous campers leaving messes and trash. Our site which basically was the second one into the primitive area was relatively clean compared to some of the others which had a great deal of debris and trash left behind. The saddest sight was a huge nail that had been driven into one of the beautiful trees which we were parked very near. As a tree hugger, I felt especially grieved at that sight.

Cell service with Verizon was only possible with our cell signal booster that we recently installed in our motorhome. That was acceptable for us as we had chosen to do a low-tech weekend and only check for messages a couple of times throughout the day.

Mount Charleston and the primitive sites for camping are wonderful refuge to those of us who live in the Las Vegas Valley especially during the heat of summer. Also on the mountain are a few other established full-service camp grounds for fee, a couple of lodges and restaurants, and a snow ski and snow play area.

During our recent stay in September 2016, the morning and night temperatures ranged in the mid 46° and up. The air was invigorating and wonderful!

Mount Charleston is one of my favorite places and I most assuredly will go back up the mountain again and again to camp and just enjoy the beauty.

about Champion Road?