Canyon Country Campground

Sprint 3G
Thumb 1926935 606505542753672 1849089407 n 420x420
Nathan @ Wand'rly

14 Volkswagen Bus, Champagne Edition, Riviera Campwagen
“Don't forget your Passport America card in the car and ask to bring it back in to get the discount...”

Reviewed Aug 03, 2015

We've stayed here twice. If I was the type of person who ever stuck to his guns, I never would have come back and stayed the second time, but I think we just happened across it while meandering around in our VW Bus and were tired of driving, so I gave in. My second experience was fine. I would have rated this place a 3 if it weren't for my first experience here, which goes like this:

I’d love to write a great review for this campground. Positioned uniquely on the corner of what seemed to be an enormous roadside attraction: a pub and restaurant, a small zoo which claimed to have turtles, llamas and monkeys, some type of nifty looking lookout tower nearby (presumably for looking into the “Pennsylvania Grand Canyon” nearby), and who knows what other wonders, it has all of the quirky charm of a giant ball of string and the woodsy feel of a theme park KOA...but in a good way. Very nearby is the afore mentioned 800-feet deep canyon that is absolutely fabulously beautiful all covered in the Autumn leaves. Bald eagles soar overhead and Maple sugar is on tap at a small store just before you enter.

But wait, that’s Pine Creek Gorge itself, and this review was meant to be for Canyon Country Campground. Unfortunately, though there was space available, we were denied access in a whirlwind of what I assumed was the owner’s bad mood. It’s all a little blurry as it happened so quickly, but the general gist I believe I can recall.

I walk into the office to try and get a space. I ask the woman behind the counter if they have weekly rates or Passport America discounts, and she gets very annoyed. She asks me for my Passport America card and I explain that it's out in the car. We went through the motions, and she was about to charge me, so I asked if I could run out and grab the card to get the discount. Her annoyance increased.

I ran out to grab it but couldn't find it, but I had the numbers and expiration date, and tried giving her just those. She says she can’t do it and I simply ask her why. I was being exceptionally polite for my typical zero tolerance policy on anyone who even slightly seems like they're kicking attitude. Her response? “Those are the rules.” So I ask her if those are the campground’s policies or Passport America’s, because I know that the latter is fine with you just giving them your numbers, and every single campground that accepts PA has been fine about just having the numbers thus far. She tells me that obviously they’re her policies, how it’s her campground, and so she makes the rules, which totally takes me by surprise because I’m literally only asking her a question about the policy she’s citing me.

I then tell her okay, we’ll just take the spot anyway and it’s fine if we don’t get the Passport America discount. She tears the registration paper in half and tells me no, she doesn’t want me as a customer and that I need to get out. I couldn’t believe it, and so I stormed out of the office, obviously infuriated.

Perhaps the funniest part, however, was that somehow in the whole ordeal I’d left my keys on the countertop in the store, so after it all I had to go back in to retrieve them, in what could easily have been the most awkward moment in all of time.

Her husband followed me out on his little John Deer golf cart type machine, just to make sure I didn't try and sneak into a spot after all of that...

But like I said, the second time we came, I no longer had Passport America, so it never came up, and it was just a normal old evening at an average campground with a nice location.

AT&T 3G
Sprint 3G

about Canyon Country Campground?

• wifi: free