Bow Willow Creek Campground

Anza-Borrego Desert State Park

Bow Willow Rd. / Sweeny Pass Rd.
Julian, CA 92036
760-767-5311

Pad Type: dirt

SubaruVagabond

Subaru Outback

SubaruVagabond would stay here again

“Nice, semi-developed desert camp”

Reviewed Feb 08, 2016

This is a great little campground nestled in the desert! I really have nothing negative to say about it. I only went here in search of a spot to hang my hammock, but I am quite satisfied with the whole experience! I even was able to hang my hammock securely and comfortably, for a wonderful night of sleep in it!

Probably the only silly thing about this campground is that it is $15 a night and surrounded by free camping within a walking distance. There's even a free spot barely up the road with equivalently clean vault toilets. However, you get the benefit of some extra, permanent shade, picnic tables, fire rings, trash service, and maybe even an additional grill, depending on which spot you take. I was able to hang my hammock here, which is something that I can't say of any of the free camping nearby.

The road in is a long, dirt road that can be easily missed, if you blink. However, there are signs leading up to it, and the road is well marked on any maps I've looked at. The road is a bit bumpy at spots but easily accessible in any vehicle.

The whole campground seems well maintained. It was remarkably clean, including the vault toilets and all of the camp spots. The site I was in seemed best fit for tent camping or that like, due to unlevel parking, but I saw more than one camper in the campground at other spots with more level parking.

I mostly had the whole place to myself, except for a few hikers that came and went and a few other campers on the other side of the campground. There is some good hiking trails through the canyons around the area, so there's some attraction for that. However, the whole place was remarkably quiet, even with that minimal traffic. There was no notable road noise, and even the sounds of helicopters that have been doing a lot of rounds in the area the last few months was particularly quiet here compared to other spots nearby.

I suppose the worst thing about this is if you rely on Verizon for any needs while staying here. Without my booster, I got some real spotty 3G, but at times, I couldn't get anything. With the booster, I got some solid 2-3 bars of 4G LTE for reasonable amounts of time, but it wasn't reliable and would suddenly drop to nothing but voice without warning.

There is a 30 day within a 1 year timespan limit, officially for this campground. It's certainly on my list of places to go when in this area, though!

about Bow Willow Creek Campground?

Egg hill