Overview of Blue Ridge Dispersed
Accessibility is not guaranteed, always scout ahead before driving down dirt roads.
Learn more: Boondocking 101
Last Price Paid: $0
Reported by Dan on 4/14/2020
Number of Sites 1
Elevation 2,919 ft / 889 m
Max Stay 14
Tent Camping Yes
Sponsored by RELiON Batteries
Q&A - Ask the Community about Blue Ridge Dispersed
Campendium users haven't asked any questions about Blue Ridge Dispersed
Reviews of Blue Ridge Dispersed 1 person has reviewed this location.
“Rewarding test of intermediate outdoor skills”
Park on the pull-off from the gravel/dirt road and walk up the wide trail up the ridgeline less than 50 yards to reach this site at the peak. From there you'll have great views across the valleys in nearly every direction. Go past the stone firepit to walk down the ridgeline into the forest valley, or go back to the road for an easier hike. 1-2 miles down the road in one direction gets you to an entrance for the Appalachian Trail. Going the other way leads to more good sites and access to a fast-moving stream. In short, this was the perfect place to connect with nature using your hands, feet and senses.
NOT recommended for beginners, as there as certain hazards like poisonous tree fungus could create a serious situation. BE SURE to bring lots and lots of water and a shovel, since the nearest faucet and toilet will make for at least 1 HR driving round trip.
- 360 view
- All day sunlight for solar charging (when trees are without leaves)
- Lots of firewood (all sizes)
- Few insect pests
- Quick walk from parking spot
- Plenty of clay in ground for primitive pottery projects ;)
- Constant sometimes very strong wind from surrounding valley (recommend tarp shelter between trees for easier cooking & comfortable lounging)
- No cell service. Intermittent service within 1.5 miles. My phone has a switcher to connect to any network, and still only had 3G about an hour on mornings with good weather.
- Few truly flat areas to pitch tent. Hardpacked ground. (recommend padding area below tent footprint w/ gathered leaves)
- SO MUCH broken glass everywhere, esp. near firepit. Other garbage in surrounding woods from previous visitors.
- Large dead/dying tree hazard at peak next to best tent sites (the one full of bullet holes)
- Gravel road is tough on most vehicles. Do not attempt without decent clearance underneath.
- Occasional gunfire and noise from passing vehicles.
Dan would stay here again
This review is the opinion of a Campendium member and not of Campendium.com
Be the first to add a note for Blue Ridge Dispersed!
Be the first to add a video for Blue Ridge Dispersed!
Have you written a blog post about Blue Ridge Dispersed?
Contact us to update this listing.
- dry camping
- Dispersed Camping
- fire ring
Please select a reason for flagging this item: