Black Gulch Dispersed Area

Pad Type: dirt
Open Seasonally: Yes

SubaruVagabond

Subaru Outback

SubaruVagabond would stay here again

“Beautiful, but busy on weekends and dirty”

Reviewed Jul 31, 2015

I came in on a Saturday night and stayed for a few nights before deciding to move up to the Keyesville SRMA area. The site is very beautiful, with the ability to camp right on the Kern River.

I had some concern of flooding when it started raining while I was there, along with the rain making the drive out more difficult, but that was really the final straw for me to move.

Although it was a beautiful spot, every day, I would find more trash left by previous campers. The whole area was packed Saturday night, but emptied out Sunday; not sure if it was those campers or others before even them--they actually seemed more responsible for what I was paying attention to. It was actually probably the most damaging lack of care to a potentially beautiful spot I've seen so far. I realized it was very unsanitary, and so needed to get out.

I would be willing to go check it out again in the future, if I'm nearby. It was a gorgeous location, so if it got cleaned up well, it would be great! Unfortunately, my attempt at cleaning any of it up barely scratched the surface.

Verizon LTE was pretty good. I consistently got 1-2 bars. Some spots I tried out would drop to 3G on occasion, but with my booster on, I kept 4G the whole time throughout.

It's almost like parking on a sand beach at the bottom, after a moderately rough ride in. I saw some 2wd sedans down there, and ended up helping push them out. I'm not sure how they even got down there to start! It might be tough to fit a trailer or RV down the road, although some creative drivers might pull it off. At least one 4wd van and a bunch of trucks and SUVs made it down and back easily enough.

about Black Gulch Dispersed Area?

Sandy flat campground