Bixby Public Access Area

307-473-3400

Pad Type: dirt
Open Seasonally: Yes
Max Stay: 5

Accessibility is not guaranteed, always scout ahead before driving down dirt roads.
Learn more: Boondocking 101

SubaruVagabond

Subaru Outback

SubaruVagabond would stay here again

“Small gravel spot on the river”

Reviewed May 31, 2016

I came in and left from the Southwest route, en route to/from Casper, WY on I-25. Tank Farm Road is a long, dirt road, but it was in excellent condition as I passed through. Not even very washboard at all for me, in the direction I went. The drive way into the spot was definitely the worst, but I did see a smaller, old Class A down there, for what indication that might give.

It can feel a little cramped if multiple people are trying to camp there. I arrived and some locals had already setup camp. I ended up chatting with them, and they were friendly people. They had noted that not many other people ever seemed to come down and camp down there. We saw a few people come trying to fish, but the water was very muddy and the current strong: not very conducive to anyone who tried fishing in it. Swimming or doing much of any other recreation or otherwise in that water also wasn't very good while I was there in late May, after some recent storms.

The whole area was pretty clean, including the toilets. There wasn't much for noise outside of myself and the one other group of campers there, except for a few people coming by on occasion to check out the river or just driving by on the road.

Verizon LTE signal was decently strong and usable, without a booster. TMobile was roaming, but I didn't use it at all so no comment there.

This does feel like you're pretty far out away from much of anything, which I enjoy more than not, but it could be a hassle, potentially. There's not really anything remarkable about the location, despite sitting right on the river, as well.

All that said, I would stay here again if passing through. It is a 5 day camping limit, which is limiting for me, personally, but it would serve a great spot to stop and rest for a night while on the road to elsewhere.

“Small gravel parking area with a few trees”

Reviewed May 07, 2015

We stayed three days at Bixby. Tank Farm Road is dir and rough ( washboarded ) from either direction, but passable by almost any size rig. We saw a semi truck on it. The road down into Bixby might be too steep for some large RV's with low breakover or approach or entry angles.
There are several spots right on the water and a few trees on a turnaround on the end. The river is supposed to be good fishing, in the three days we were there we saw no other campers but two groups came and fished.
Other than a pit toilet, there are no services. Traffic on Tank Farm Road is sparse, but there is a train track nearby and trains go through on a regular basis.

about Bixby Public Access Area?

• Dispersed Camping

Camp dummy
River Bend RV Park
Ayers natural bridge park
Ayers Natural Bridge Park
Douglas, Wyoming
Deer creek village rv park
Deer Creek Village RV Park
Glenrock south recreation complex
Glenrock South Recreation Complex
City Park
Glenrock, Wyoming
Platte river rv park campground
Platte River RV Park & Campground