Big Rock Campground

RoadPickle.com
Menifee, CA
28 ATC Toy Hauler
2017 Chevrolet 2500 HD
“Pretty campground, but kinda meh.”

Reviewed Aug 22, 2018

I paid $35.00 a night because I'm from out of town. Not a busy park, even when it picks up on the weekend, there's still plenty of sites available. Because a newer campground, the trees they planted are still too young to offer any shade or any kind of forest-feel, unlike its brethren Paul Wolff Campground to the north.

Strangely, I found at my campsite the water spigot about 30 feet away from my trailer's hookup, and my hose was too short. Parking blocks at each site prevented me from backing the trailer any further. So, I was hosed, I guess. But, I already had a half-full water tank on board, so I managed fine. However, before I checked out of the campground, I moved my trailer to another site that had a closer water spigot, and filled my tank. However, days later, and hundreds of miles down the road, I notice a light "sulfur" odor in the water. Just keep that in mind.

Otherwise, a peaceful campground. It has a hiking trail that meanders far. There is a pond here, I swear I thought I saw someone with fishing poles. There are no sewer hookups, but it has a dump station. The dump station does not have potable water. Verizon 4G came in at 2/5 bars, and with WeBoost I saw it fluctuate between 3-4/5 bars. There is residential just across the street, and hence it subtracted from that "campground" feel. If I came back to this area, I'd try Paul Wolff Campground, to see if I could get better shade.

Also too many toll roads getting to this campground. I know that's a Chicago thing, but man!

Thumb 2014 02 top of el faro mazatlan
WinnieViews

23 Winnebago View 23J
2003 Chevy Tracker ZR2

WinnieViews would stay here again

“Newer, Quiet Campground with large sites”

Reviewed Aug 30, 2015

After the success of Paul Wolff CG in Elgin (at Burnidge FP), the Kane County Forest Preserve District decided to build a second RV campground at Big Rock Forest Preserve just off I-88 and 10 minutes west of Aurora.

The area is very rural and quiet. In fact, the campground is surrounded on 2 sides by corn and soybean farm fields. But the Forest Preserve District is trying to restore some of the fields to native prairie and there are some trails through wooded sections as well.

Sites are mostly water/electric, flat, and open, but there are a half dozen walk-in tent sites that are carved into the woods and prairie for privacy. There is also a ring of campsites for horse campers.

There are clean flush toilets & vault toilets, but no showers. There is a 2-lane dump station upon exit.

Chicago & the western suburbs are easily accessible via I-88, or by catching a METRA train to downtown from Elburn or La Fox (about 10 miles away).

Like Paul Wolff CG, Big Rock is first come, first serve only and limits stays to 14 days with a 7 day wait before you can return again. Fortunately, you can stay at the other campground during those 7 days making it possible to spend a month or more alternating between these 2 wonderful Kane County campgrounds!

Verizon Voice Only

Thumb 2014 02 top of el faro mazatlan
Winnie Views: Lazy Days of Summer

It’s been 3 weeks since I returned to my little rolling home on the prairie.  The gentle rhythmic hum of crickets and cicadas have replaced the harsh, sudden screeches of the Ring-necked Pheasants. ...

Hide-A-Way Lakes