Beavertail Hill State Park

RetiredVagabond
Hamilton, MT
32 Grand Design Reflection
2013 Ram 2500 4x4 Diesel

RetiredVagabond would stay here again

“Wonderful Campground Experience”

Reviewed Oct 22, 2016

This was my first camp here at Beavertail Hill State Park and turned out to be more than I expected. It looks like they upgraded the campground recently as the 50 amp electric pedestal looked new. The bathrooms are clean vault toilets. No showers are available here. Also water is available, but not at the sites, unless you are lucky. Site 006 was within my hose reach and I was able to connect when I needed a refill of my freshwater tank.

The big negative here for RV's is there isn't a Dump for your tanks. I went to Bretz's RV in Missoula. They have a free dump. Also if you don't like train noise, there are a few trains passing near here throughout the day. While not too close, you can hear it.

Campsites are large with plenty of trees for some privacy. A few campsites are tight for larger RV's. My fifth wheel is 32' and a little tight on site 006 where I parked, but doable.

Campground is along the Clarks Fork River where you can float, kayak and fish. There is a nature trail about an hour's walk, with thick trees along the river at times.

Closest market is Clinton Market. It's a nice place to shop only ten minutes away. The largest big city close by is about a thirty minute drive, Missoula, Mt.

I visited Garnet Ghost Town, only an hour or so away. If you go take hwy 200 out of Missoula. It's longer by at least thirty minutes, but paved, that is unless you want to go four wheeling. Most of the roads on the map off of Interstate 90 are dirt and get pretty rough.

Thumb 13%2b %2b2
AudreyAirstream
Henderson, NV
27 Airstream International
2016 Ford F150

AudreyAirstream would stay here again

“Nice Park but Overpriced”

Reviewed Sep 07, 2015

This is a nice little state park with decently-spaced sites and plenty of room to accommodate trailers and RVs. All sites have electric (but no other services) which unfortunately makes them rather expense at $34/night for non-Montana residents. It was worth it for us this time because it rained for the 2 days we were there (bye, bye solar power) so having electric meant we didn’t have to bring out the generator. But still…

There is a nice walking trail that winds around and through the campground, plus several spots where you can access the river. There are “real” bathrooms with running water and flush toilets.

Downside: There is quite a bit of noise here from I-90. Again, it rained while we were here so that drowned out a lot of it, but if we had wanted to sleep with our windows open it would have been annoying. Be prepared for the train to come through nearby a few times in the night. It blows it’s whistle nearby and is quite loud!

Ten miles to the west at exit 120 is the Clinton Market which has gas, diesel, propane, and quite an impressive selection of groceries.

Would I stay here again? If I was in the area and needed an easily accessible place to crash for a night, yes. But I wouldn’t seek it out as a destination.

Bonus Tip: It’s about a 30 minute drive into Missoula which is a nice little town with a great Dog Park right next to the University on Jacobs Island.

Beavertail Hill – Clarks Fork River

Travel journal – July 26, 2016 It seems like we’ve spend a lot of time along the Clark Fork River since we crossed the Montana state line. Now we are headed back West to our home base. C...

Ekstrom's Stage Station