Bear Creek #1

Bear Creek Rd. Winthrop, WA 98862 509-754-4624 360-902-2515 Official Website

• Video
  • Reviews (2)

Overview of Bear Creek #1

A Discover Pass or Vehicle Access Pass is required to camp on Washington Department of Fish & Wildlife (WDFW) Lands.

Pad Type dirt

Elevation 2,723 ft / 829 m

View Map

Supporter Subscription

Become a Campendium Supporter and enjoy ad-free browsing plus bonus features!

• Cell Coverage Maps

$20 Billed Annually

Featured Video by Campendium

Q&A - Ask the Community about Bear Creek #1

Campendium users haven't asked any questions about Bear Creek #1

Reviews of Bear Creek #1 2 people have reviewed this location.

Confirmed by 2 Users
Last reported 6/27/2019
Last reported 8/17/2015
“Great”

Reviewed 10/15/2020

Had a great peaceful sleep here as we were passing through Winthrop. No trouble accessing in our mid size suv. It was clean, quiet, and we enjoyed our evening there. Plenty of space for our pup to run around before the sun went down. I believe There was signage that you need some kind of pass to get in, but we had our National Park Annual Pass which we put in our windshield. In any event, no one came to check.

Janine would stay here again

“Complete solitude (assuming it isn't hunting season)...”

Reviewed 8/17/2015

This and the Bear Creek #2 across the road are truly wild, natural settings...real, free boondocking in the forest, something we haven't been able to find much of in Washington. Most of the more natural settings have been National Forest Campgrounds, which come with fellow campers and fees. We were the only people in Bear Creek #1 and there was only one RV in #2 while we stayed. The place is definitely for hunters, there are poles nailed or tied between trees at every spot that appear to be used to hang a deer. Or maybe they're for fish. I don't know, the last time I tried to shoot a deer or catch a fish the meat market guy called the cops. Bear Creek #2's toilets are super nasty vaults. Bear Creek #1's are slightly nicer. Forest service guys came through at least once a day, too. But the pondos are massive and the cell service is banging, so this is a downright gem in my mind. Only didn't give it a 5 star because I'm a little cranky after a mildly washboard road drive in and it's 4 minutes past 5:00 and my beer is warm. And I hate how the hunting camper types seem to find it impossible to not leave at least seventeen empty cans of Coors Light scattered around every campsite. Other than that, great stuff!

Nathan @ Wand'rly would stay here again

Be the first to add a note for Bear Creek #1!

Be the first to add a video for Bear Creek #1!

Young Bones in Bear Creek Campground, Winthrop, WA

I wish the hunters wouldn’t leave so much for the gatherers. And by hunters I mean just that; campground attendees who come to take a deer and so often leave a pile of...

Outrunning the Twisp Wild Fires in Eastern Washington August 2015

“They’re evacuating Twisp,” Renée told me. She and the kids were in the town of Winthrop, I back in with our Airstream at a boondocking site by the name of Bear Creek....

Pearrygin Lake State Park East Campground

Five miles from the wonderful town of Winthrop. Space between RVs was excellent.

- Bri Olympia

Pearrygin Lake State Park West Campground

Great week with four other camping families

- Tim

Silverline Resort

Nice campground in middle of desert

- JohnC