Bear Creek #1

2 Reviews
Bear Creek Rd. Winthrop, WA 98862 509-754-4624 360-902-2515 Official Website

• Reviews

Overview of Bear Creek #1

A Discover Pass or Vehicle Access Pass is required to camp on Washington Department of Fish & Wildlife (WDFW) Lands.

Pad Type dirt

Q&A - Ask the Community about Bear Creek #1

Campendium users haven't asked any questions about Bear Creek #1

Reviews of Bear Creek #1 2 people have reviewed this location.

Confirmed by 2 Users
Last reported 6/27/2019
Last reported 8/17/2015
“Main campground CLOSED - 6/26/19”

Reviewed 6/27/2019

This is just a heads up that the actual Bear Creek Forest Service Campground is closed at this time. Not sure for how long. Went to the forest service website but it was down. We arrived last night and it appeared to be prescribed burned with charred and blackened trees and ground. Didn’t look very appealing, and then we saw the sign ‘Area Closed’. There is a cleared horse camp area just across from the campground and we stayed there. We were the only campers on a Wednesday night. No amenities, just a dirt patch to park for the night. Dirt portion of the road to get there was fine, not very washboarded at all. Decent 3 bar LTE Verizon service along with an amazing sunset made it a perfectly acceptable place to spend the night.

Shineylewis would stay here again

“Complete solitude (assuming it isn't hunting season)...”

Reviewed 8/17/2015

This and the Bear Creek #2 across the road are truly wild, natural settings...real, free boondocking in the forest, something we haven't been able to find much of in Washington.

Most of the more natural settings have been National Forest Campgrounds, which come with fellow campers and fees. We were the only people in Bear Creek #1 and there was only one RV in #2 while we stayed.

The place is definitely for hunters, there are poles nailed or tied between trees at every spot that appear to be used to hang a deer. Or maybe they're for fish. I don't know, the last time I tried to shoot a deer or catch a fish the meat market guy called the cops.

Bear Creek #2's toilets are super nasty vaults. Bear Creek #1's are slightly nicer. Forest service guys came through at least once a day, too.

But the pondos are massive and the cell service is banging, so this is a downright gem in my mind. Only didn't give it a 5 star because I'm a little cranky after a mildly washboard road drive in and it's 4 minutes past 5:00 and my beer is warm. And I hate how the hunting camper types seem to find it impossible to not leave at least seventeen empty cans of Coors Light scattered around every campsite. Other than that, great stuff!

Nathan @ Wand'rly would stay here again

Be the first to add a note for Bear Creek #1!

Be the first to add a video for Bear Creek #1!

Young Bones in Bear Creek Campground, Winthrop, WA

I wish the hunters wouldn’t leave so much for the gatherers. And by hunters I mean just that; campground attendees who come to take a deer and so often leave a pile of...

Outrunning the Twisp Wild Fires in Eastern Washington August 2015

“They’re evacuating Twisp,” Renée told me. She and the kids were in the town of Winthrop, I back in with our Airstream at a boondocking site by the name of Bear Creek....

Artboard Created with Sketch.

Bear Creek #2