Balmorhea Lake Fishing & Camping

tipsymarlintravels
SD 42' Forest River Sandpiper Peterbilt 387
“Lakefront Views”

Reviewed Jan 26, 2019

First of all, DO NOT trust the directions to the camping area. Both Google maps and our trucker's GPS took us to the wrong location, ending up in sketchy u-turns down dead-end dirt roads. Stay on Business Loop 10 in Balmorhea, make a left turn onto Houston Drive (there will be a sign pointing to the lake), and stay on the pavement until you get to the office/store/bait shop. Check in there.

There are two camping areas. We chose to stay in the dry camping area, which costs $10 per day, but it put us right on the lake with no one else near us. They do have an RV area with some utilities, which costs $20 per day. Now, they charge PER DAY, not per night, so our two night stay actually cost us three days, or $30.

Landside, the place looks kind of junky and run down. Not too pretty to look at. The lake, though, is gorgeous, and we were treated to a really beautiful sunset.

We were here on a Friday night and Saturday night. The place is dead quiet at night, except for a local that came in around 1 am and blasted their ghetto hip hop music until 4 am. Now, when you check in, you receive a list of rules that says, if you cause any disruptions, you'll be carted out by the local law enforcement. I guess that rule doesn't pertain to locals causing noise. No, we didn't call in the law. They have other things to deal with and we're only here for two nights, but it was disappointing.

Probably the best part of this camping area is that cell service is excellent, at least with Verizon. Full bars and no need for a signal booster.

Overall, as an overnight stop or a place to set down for a day or two on the road, this place is fine. If we weren't on a longer road trip heading somewhere else, I wouldn't go out of my way to stay here.

about Balmorhea Lake Fishing & Camping?

• general store