Avery Recreation Area

541-506-7857

Pad Type: gravel
Open Seasonally: Yes
Max Stay: 14

Open to the public except during commercial treaty fishing seasons

Thumb rkxh4190
bobk3d

33 Fleetwood Bounder

bobk3d would stay here again

“Just right for me, but maybe not everybody”

Reviewed Aug 26, 2018

Free dry camping on the Columbia River, courtesy Corps Of Engineers. There's a vault toilet, dumpster, a few (new) picnic tables, and a boat ramp.

There are also railroad tracks nearby, which I don't mind but many will. It's not right next to the tracks like Viento SP, so it's not quite that loud, but you'll hear some horn blasts from the westbounds. I assume that's the reason this otherwise great spot gets very little use.

I visited three times over the course of a month. There are about 3 spots where you can back right up to the river's edge, and I was always able to snag one in a 33' Class A. There isn't a lot of shade, but you can find some if you need it.

While there, I saw a couple of Class B, small trailer and truck campers, a few tent campers, and some overnight cars. But I didn't see anybody too sketchy, no beat up Class C's that barely roll. It was never crowded, and some nights I had the place to myself. There is some day use, too, mostly boaters and windsurfers. Rangers stopped by with a questionnaire, and police rolled by a couple times a day. I felt safe locking the RV and running errands or exploring, something I'm usually uncomfortable with when boondocking. Your sentiments may vary, of course.

Nights were very quiet except for the trains. Dark skies were great for stargazing, and 10-15 miles east it gets even better. It's a short drive to The Dalles for groceries, etc.

There are seasonal closure for native tribal fishing. While I was in the area, there were three Monday-Friday closures in late June/early July. It looks like the next closures are in late August. These vary, and are scheduled by the native tribes as fishing season progresses. I called CoE for info but they don't get much advance notice.

Some days are very windy, and some are calm. The wind can be pretty strong, and I had to pull in my slide one night.

ATT & Verizon were both very good.

Edit: I forgot to mention: it has a great view of Mt Hood on most days.

about Avery Recreation Area?

• boat ramp

The Dalles, Oregon
Camp dummy
Columbia Hills RV Village
Dallesport, Washington
Deschutes river state recreation area
Deschutes River State Recreation Area
Wasco, Oregon
Port of the dalles dump station
Port of The Dalles Dump Station