Altamaha County Park

Thumb 20131214143548.jpg
Bsleuman

20 Cross Custom cargo trailer
Site Number: R5

Bsleuman would stay here again

“Riverside Camping”

Reviewed Apr 26, 2018

Was passing thru and called on short notice. I paid $1.20 extra to be on river. Site was level and included cable. Had 2.5 " or rain overnight so had about 2 inches of standing water in the morning. Campground is at roads end with a small general store type office. Road also services a trailer park behind store. They claim to have river swimming between the 2 boat ramps.
8 private bathroom's older but working.

jfvb1225

40 Carriage C-Force
2015 Chevrolet 3500HD

jfvb1225 would stay here again

“It's primarily a fish camp on the river”

Reviewed Jan 18, 2017

First and foremost, BEWARE! The road into the campground (Altahama Park Road) from Rt. 341 has a severely humped Railroad crossing soon after you turn onto it. Our toyhauler RV has low ground clearance and we scraped going over it. Higher clearance rigs may not have a problem. If you are low ground clearance like us, I suggest you enter on Burnt Island Road to Old Jesup Road to the park road, which is about a mile Southeast of Altahama Park Road if you are coming from I-95 or Brunswick. Now onto the campground itself. First of all, let me say I grew up camping along a river campground (basically a fish camp) so a lot of what goes on here especially on the weekends doesn’t surprise me. We stayed for a week in mid-January 2017 so I’m sure the summer weekends are even more busy than what we experienced. There are campground rules clearly posted at the entrance to it, and security cameras distributed in key areas however, there doesn’t seem to be active rule enforcement of any kind. There is no ranger we ever saw, which is the key element missing here. There also doesn’t seem to be a camp host or a maintenance person although I did see someone riding around on a golf cart with shovels and buckets. If it was the maintenance person he didn’t really maintain anything in the campground that I saw. All the sites have bits of trash that have obviously been lying there for a long time, and there isn’t any cleaning of sites from one camper to the next. People come and go from the store, docks, bathhouse and dumpsters all hours of the day and night (they aren’t fishermen). It’s quite obvious that people neither fishing or camping here come and use the bathhouse, the laundry and leave their trash in the dumpsters. We never felt we were in danger, the people we met were all friendly and courteous but again, the lack of any sort of active security or maintenance makes it uncomfortable to be here. The staff obviously tolerates outsiders using the laundry and the bathhouse and people letting their dogs run loose despite the posted rules for them to be leashed at all times, and it is an annoyance. The laundry has old, mostly worn out and unreliable appliances in it, and the staff was aware but didn’t seem concerned when I reported a malfunctioning washer. For two nights we had a family with 5 children set up a tent practically under our slides in the next site (the riverfront sites are close together) when there is clearly a designated tent camping area close by. I would stay here again despite all this but the feint of heart would probably want to choose another campground. The positive aspects of this campground are obviously the river and the reasonable rates for full hookups, as well as a lot of friendly people. If the security, rules and maintenance issues were addressed it would really be a great place for a long term stay. A full time ranger and a entrance gate that closes at night would be a great place to start to improve the park.

about Altamaha County Park?

Barrington county park
Barrington County Park
Townsend, Georgia
Clayhole swamp wildlife management area
Clayhole Swamp Wildlife Management Area