Question about Alabama Hills Recreation Area

DAVE asked on 5/28/2020

Is it too hot to camp here in June?

BedoinBoondockers
CA 27' Fleetwood flair

Answered on 5/28/2020:

It's definitely going to be warm and there's not much shade unless you're climbing up against the rock formations. The bigger question is whether its appropriate to be going out there given the COVID-19 situation because its such a popular spot. Use good judgement and if its crowded, shy away until you can find a less busy time. Be safe and have fun!
Thumb img 0281snow
Kathys outdoor adventures
CA 32' Fleetwood

Answered on 5/29/2020:

It all depends on the year and the weather. We have been many times and some years it can get pretty hot during the day but the nights cool off. I would check the forecast before your planning to head out to pack accordingly. There are many places you can find to tuck in behind some rocks to give you shade or take some type of cover to make your own. You are going to love it out there! Have fun :)

Answered on 5/28/2020:

It can be screaming hot in June or absolutely perfect...it simply depends on various factors. As wrdjoh4 said, there is no shade and unless you have and run air conditioning with a generator which will likely upset those who are out there for peace and quiet you could be sweltering. More importantly, and in support of Bedoin’s insight the Covid19 thing is a far larger concern. The last I checked the Alabama Hills, despite being BLM, was locked down and closed due to the impact an onslaught of tourists might have on Lone Pine. (Not sure how they closed Movie Road, but that is what the BLM website said) Mind you I last checked in early May hoping to escape out there but things may have changed by now. Before heading out there check the BLM website.

Answered on 5/28/2020:

I called and they are open. If it gets too hot, we can go across the road and go to the RV park for full hook ups for AC

Answered on 5/28/2020:

I went once around the 4th of July. Was really hot during the day but awesome at night. It’s hit/miss in June. Earlier is better obviously. By 10am on the 4th your hunting shade.
davidy52
Santa Cruz, CA Dodge Promaster 2500 High roof

Answered on 5/28/2020:

All I can tell you is that at the end of March, it was in the 30's at night and early morning, and lower 60's during the day. Never been there in June. It was closed due to COVID-19, and I don't know if it has been re-opened yet.
Thumb denali
socalz
Anaheim, CA 35' Dutchman Denali 307RLS 2014 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD

Answered on 5/29/2020:

I looked at the weather records for nearby Lone Pine and found that the average June high temp was 86° F.
Thumb img 1021 wog
Busbum
AZ 37' Bluebird Motor Coach (BMC)

Answered on 5/28/2020:

Dave, I do not know, as we were there in October, have not been there in the summer, but it wouldn't deter me from going in the summer... It's a great place to boondock, close to town and the movie museum there in Lone Pine... HTH
We need your help!
We depend on the support of the community for maintenance and development of the Campendium website. If everyone who visits Campendium today gave $1.50 we would hit our goal. Learn more about the 2020 Campendium Fundraiser all the ways you can support us: Subscribe Donate Purchase