Ackerman Campground

Reservations: 1877-444-6777

Elevation: 1923 ft
Max Stay: 14
Max Length: 40 ft

North Loop is open year round. Drinking water is available seasonally, typically from April through October.

Thumb jim
Jim G
Sebastopol, CA 27' Forest River Wildwood Ram 2500 6.7 Liter Diesel 4WD

Jim G would stay here again

“Remote, quiet, unspoiled”

Reviewed Apr 05, 2017

We stayed here for a week in the Fall of 2016 and again in August of 2017. There are approximately 60 camp sites, many with long parking areas good for trailers. The sites are widely spaced so even if you have a neighbor, you have privacy. The star gazing here is excellent as Ackerman is far from Redding.

The bathrooms, showers and water supply are uncertain. The camphost admitted there had been problems with the well. We drank our own water. The RV dumpstation has been closed during the past 3 years that we've camped here.

Some reports mention bees. We had traps and had no problems.

The path down to the lake is easy enough but we did not catch fish.

Access to Ackerman Campground is via good wide pavement all the way to the campground.

I read in another review that end of the loops have tight enough turns to limit the length of an RV such that the camper had to back their rig out. I am not sure about that. On my first visit I had a truck pulling a modest cargo trailer so there were no problems. On my second trip, I was pullilng a 27 foot trailer and made it around the North loop OK - although I admit I went in the reverse (clockwise) direction since that worked out to be a little more forgiving.

It was very hot both times I camped at Ackerman, even in late September. The camp host even mentioned that the place was perfect except when the temperatures exceed 100F. My plan in the future is to only go if the weather forecast is for temperatures below 90F.

We just completed our third trip. It was late fall. Mid 20 temperatures at sunrise. The days were blessedly warm and inviting. Don't miss a chance to go into Lewiston and eat and drink at the Lewiston Hotel. Very nice people and a great vibe. We buy items at the Lewiston antique store as well. There is a convenience store and fuel (gasoline and diesel) in Lewiston.

Half of the campground was closed off. The other half with its ~30 sites had only the host and 3 of us camping there. This time of year, there were no bugs.

about Ackerman Campground?