18 Road

18 Rd.
Fruita, CO 81521
970-244-3000

Pad Type: dirt

Accessibility is not guaranteed, always scout ahead before driving down dirt roads.
Learn more: Boondocking 101

Thumb rvchickadee
Rv Chickadee
FL
24 Crossroads Slingshot
2003 Toyota Tundra
“Don't come here if it's windy! Otherwise, it may have sufficed.”

Reviewed Aug 14, 2017

Ho-Ly Crap.
Never have I ever left a spot because I was so frustrated with an issue. What issue was that? DUST. It was windy and this place was literally unbearable with the dust problem. No, it wasn't like 40mph winds, either... it was just typical out-west afternoon winds. Maybe 10-15mph? Gusting higher or not. We got there in the afternoon one day and were gone the next afternoon around 4pm.

Aside from the dust, the views are very nice. It's pretty. Scenic. We had ok cellular. The road coming in is atrocious. It's not paved, it's graded, but when we came in it was in dire need of help.

There's a long graded road to travel before you hit the turnoff to the right to camp. Then THAT road is pretty bad as well. It has huge ruts in it so you have to make sure you put your wheels where you aren't going to scrape a low-hanging (mine) weight distribution hitch. So going in to find a spot took about 45 minutes if I recall correctly.

Spots are fairly spread out. You will see your neighbors. You are just outside of Fruita and about maybe 20 minutes to Grand Junction?

I have never left a spot out of frustration. It was a mutual, almost unspoken decision we made around 3 that afternoon... we packed up as fast as possible and just LEFT to arrive at a Wal-Mart parking lot in Rock Springs, Wy around 11 pm.

That's why I give this a 1-star. I don't foresee going back and risking the mess that was the dust issue. I've been to dusty spots all over the west. None compared to this.

Thumb dsc 0651
Live Small Ride Free

25 Self-rebuilt fifth wheel

Live Small Ride Free would stay here again

“Boondock less than half a mile from the 18 Road mountain bike trailhead. ”

Reviewed May 05, 2017

A 3.5 mile drive down the washboard section of 18 Rd. leads to a dirt road on the right with a BLM sign. The sites vary in sizes and can fit around 15+ rigs. It’s a fairly popular area; there were numerous rigs parked when we arrived mid-week. There are no amenities in the vicinity, aside from vault toilets at the North Fruita Desert paid campground ($10) further down the road. But it’s 10 miles into downtown Fruita where there’s a grocery store, breweries, coffee shop, restaurants, and bike shops.

The mountain bike trail system here is officially named North Fruita Desert, but they are more commonly known as 18 Road or Bookcliffs.

We had 2 bar Verizon LTE where we were parked, but it was a slow 2 bar signal.

Thumb rvchickadee
My Great Fail In Taking The Reins In The ‘Travel Planning’ Department

So, yes, Marshall and I stayed in Moab for almost two months. During that time, we met up with some other new-to-us full-time RVers, despite trying to go ‘incognito’ so we could focus on work. Me, M...

• Dispersed Camping

Loma, Colorado
Fruita welcome center
Fruita Welcome Center
Fruita, Colorado
Fruita campground colorado river state park
Fruita Section Campground